autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Efficient Headlight Restoration for Dealer Cars

I'me looking for a way to increase the bottom line for dealer jobs while still giving good results.

In the past I've been using a multistep sanding and spar approach using starting at 400 or 600, followed by 800, 1000, 1500 and 3000, first stages dry.

I've had good results except on those windy days etc but recently while I was away they had someone else come in. He could do comparable quality but twice as many cars in the same timeframe.

I've looking for an excellent yet quick method so that I'm not working my @ss off all day for chump change, you get the drift.

I've most recently been reading about the Detailers Pro Series Headlight Product. Is this the latest and greatest or can someone recommend another product / method, keeping in mind it will be used primarily on dealer cars - at least until proven.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Efficient Headlight Restoration for Dealer Cars

DP Headlight Restoration Kit
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this in the Carwash I recently worked at. They sand with 1000 (wet) then compound with a 3"cutting pad on a rotary then some Megs headlight restoration plastX. They look pretty good and clear and fast if I compare of what I was doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Make quick work using a Meguiars Mirror Glaze Sanding Pad and 1000 grit sandpaper and wet sand, then Meguiars M105, then the cheapest coating you can find. That combo will probably be your best value in terms of quality of finish and quickness. It should be good enough finish to make the used car manager happy.

Sanding with 400 or 600 dry, followed by 800, 1000, 1500 and 3000 wet is wayyyyy to much for a quick and cheap dealership job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is your best bet:

Meguiars Professional Headlight & Spot Repair Kit, headlight lens restorer, auto headlight repair, plastic headlight restorer, paint spot repair

Meguiars Headlight Kit Replacement Pneumatic 3 Inch Rotary Air Tool, mini air rotary tool

If you already have an air compressor I would highly suggest this. On sale right now for $225 total (usually it would be $420) so that is a huge amount off.

My friend has this kit and does headlight restorations for people at his body shop. He charges $100 and he could do a set of headlights in 30 minutes or less and they come out perfect.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-qRs6kGn4o]Headlight Restoration with Meguiar's - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic Parts Motorcycle and Car Accessories This place sales a product that i use regularly for dealer headlights, its made by versital its called nu-lite the phone number is 941 704 6227 . it wipes on and wipes off that is it. Lasts for a about 3 months , plenty of time for dealer vehicles and takes less than 5 minutes to apply

Post Thanks / Like

For those who have used multiple methods, how does the DP Headlight Restoration Kit compare in both quality of job and time required?

Does it require sanding steps first? (I've always found the hardest lights to do are the ones that are [B]just starting[B] to fog with most of the coating intact - those badly fogged ones are usually a piece of cake compared ... will that remain the same?)

Agreed 2 many steps and way too much work and that added to the time for the guy to tell me which cars to do on the fly was hurting me. I've found that if I under sanded then they looked bad as well so I tend to be careful to avoid potential rework.

I don't have the air compressor / tools. Girots 3". Also Flex 3401 and a Makita 9227 but they're probably both too big for a long day of headlights. I do have a cordless drill as well if a rotary and 3" plate if needed.

Nu-Lite? I've tested something that was supposed to be almost that easy and it was a complete failure. I'd be hesitant. It sure could change / ruin this business!

Thanks for the info everyone,
    Nice pages btw guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PERFECTIONPLUS View Post
    Plastic Parts Motorcycle and Car Accessories This place sales a product that i use regularly for dealer headlights, its made by versital its called nu-lite the phone number is 941 704 6227 . it wipes on and wipes off that is it. Lasts for a about 3 months , plenty of time for dealer vehicles and takes less than 5 minutes to apply
    I second that product suggestion. I work at a used car lot as a detailer and a salesman walked in and asked if I was interested in this product. He said it makes the headlights look new in less than 2 minutes.I said "yeah right"! Then he gave a demo. I was floored! It actually worked really well. It smells like finger nail polish remover and is red in color. I purchased 3 bottles.