autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to bling out aluminum wheels with aluminum finishing polish

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    The wheels look good Vegas. Nice work. The sun shot looks incredible.
    Thanks Mike
    Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish delivers.
    Looking forward to fully correcting these wheels this winter. They're old and the rebuilder painted the barrels enamel grey. May just wire wheel and re-shoot the enamel then.

Quote Originally Posted by Finemess View Post
    Nice work. Good looking truck. Gotta love 845 on wheels, makes clean up a breeze.
    Thanks hand
    845 will pull the last remnants of polishing residue leaving the cotton towels faintly grey.
    Excellent LSP for polished aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi VT...

You have taken this example of: "How to bling out" to the brink of avant-gardism:
    Shall anyone deny these Al.-wheels are not now a work of Art?
    I know I shan't!!

Bob
    HI BOB!
    I thought of you and your KY upbringing as I went with my uncle to an old fashioned "Camp Meeting" waaaayyyy out in the country. This is a week long event going back several generations in this formerly agrarian community.

We had a blast and I saw members of my aunt's family that I haven't seen for 40 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Nice job VT!! I love that old truck. Is that the 262cid. or the 235 cid. 250 maybe?
    250 is the ticket.
    Fun lil toy to tool around with and be seen in
    Spent all day with my mentor (Uncle B.) and his extended family...literally just got home.
    Truck broke down 3 miles from where I'm staying...fuel issue.
    The 350 that is currently in the '67 is going into Old Blue as soon as the rebuilder is done.
    The original 327 was rebuilt earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    wow ... great work !
    Thanks...means a lot coming from one who meticulously cares for his wheels as you do
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those really turned out great. So the only polish you used was mothers mag and aluminum on your rotary? I never could get good results with that polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks KillaCam

Time spent wheeling the Cyclo pads was approx. 15 minutes or so per wheel. Start slow, minimum pressure, get entire surface worked before the paste dries, then gradually increase speed and pressure. Put the product through the paces and keep wet as you progress around the wheel.

Also, choice of backing plate and extension played key role in transformation ~ allowing the Cyclo pad to get into all shoulders and angles.

Mothers™ Mag and Aluminum Polish does amazing things to polishable metals. The unique cleaning and polishing characteristics make it a favorite among professional detailers, enthusiasts, and collectors. Strong enough to shine even the most horribly neglected metal; yet gentle enough to use regularly.
    This is the marketing from the AG store. I bolded "shine" and "gentle", and underlined the focus of the ad. Mothers is my go to polish for bling...second to none in my book...and I have a crate full of al. polishes.
    I did this pictorial after reading of others with finish and haze issues just to highlight the ability of this product...works as implied...with the right tool, pad, and bp. Each polishing job has its own issues.

Now, if I want cut I go a different route.
    This product is not intended for anything beyond moderate imperfections, IMHO.

Also, I am not a fan of using OTC drill attachments for wheel polishing. The abundance of proper attachments are only mouse clicks away.
    VT
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I will give it another try. Speaking of OTC products, have you tried out the dynacone by meguiars? It seems like it would be a good tool to use for wheels in good shape that just need maintenance polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work. I can't believe how well those came out. I have been a fan of Mothers metal polishes for years. Mothers Billet is fantastic.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job VT!

You have just reinforced my thought process for an up and coming project.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Maybe I will give it another try. Speaking of OTC products, have you tried out the dynacone by meguiars? It seems like it would be a good tool to use for wheels in good shape that just need maintenance polishing.
    I've read good things about the DC, but for my purposes, online products fit the bill.
    Hard for me to justfy a $23 tool, when I can buy assorted cone kits and assorted felt bob kits for roughly the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Awesome work. I can't believe how well those came out. I have been a fan of Mothers metal polishes for years. Mothers Billet is fantastic.
    Thanks. I have the Mothers Billet also. I don't have many opportunities to use it though. Most of the stuff that I see has been ridden hard a put out to pasture wet. But it's there when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Nice job VT!

You have just reinforced my thought process for an up and coming project.
    Thanks Tim !
    That's what the forums are for
    swanicyouth has influenced me to go all in on the windshield of the Sebring.
    I was going to let it ride, but his well documented step-by-step pictorial leads me to believe that I can get similar results.

The bottom line is that if I wanted to achieve better depth and reflection, I would have used a different product with better cut first. Then chase it with the Mothers products to remove the haze and micro marring. Just wasn't worth it to spend the time when December is not far off. When I hit them with the big guns, you'll be able to see your fingerprints as viewed from 1 inch away...mirror finish.

There were several hundred people at the gathering yesterday and the truck garnered much attention and conversation. I passed out business cards and ball park quotes for jobs ranging from headlights to RV's.
    VT

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Vegas...and I wouldn't expect anything less coming from you. Vegas's work is as clean and clean cut as he is. Nice pictorial.

Had a 250 bored 65 over once. It was in an 83 3/4 ton about the same color. It would absolutely smoke one tire after we put her back in...ha ha.

Here's to hoping I can be first in line as buyer when that old truck comes up for sale. Sweet ride!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Nice work Vegas...and I wouldn't expect anything less coming from you. Vegas's work is as clean and clean cut as he is. Nice pictorial.

Had a 250 bored 65 over once. It was in an 83 3/4 ton about the same color. It would absolutely smoke one tire after we put her back in...ha ha.

Here's to hoping I can be first in line as buyer when that old truck comes up for sale. Sweet ride!
    Hi Bill !!!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    It's a strong little workhorse for sure. We had a talk about whether he was going to keep Old Blue after the '67 is done and he's not certain one way or the other. Has his eye on another old truck but the rebuilder is not certain when he's gonna hang up his tools and close shop.

All the old hands are ready to sit back and enjoy life and their retirement.

I'll give you a call tonight and tell you what he paid for Old Blue. Believe it or not, he found the truck on Craigslist 3 yrs ago. I think that the only thing he had done was a tasteful full custom interior. Nothing over the top.
    We'll be heading back to the Camp Meeting this evening. I'll post a few interior shots.
    VT

Post Thanks / Like

Almost 75 days later. Snowed/rained two days ago. Light road film at time of photo.

Sunshot

Partially shaded
    VT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast