autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat repair

Quote Originally Posted by supra90 View Post
    So how long would my 1k last if I don't keep the car in the sun too much, or put a headlight cover on it? Like you said the 2k you need the mask and good ventaliation. I don't have my car in the sun much, and do cover the headlight. How long do think it would take before peeling?
    I'm sure we could narrow down how long it would take before it peels if we all chime in and average the answers. Of course it would depend on how you prepped it. What type of prep are you considering? If done correctly there it shouldn't peel at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat repair

As far as prep I would wash with car wash, and then use a de greaser and alcohol. I know everyone says I should wetsand the whole thing to give the clear something to bit into. I know it's a matter of two light coats and then one thicker coat. I wish I could take the dam thing off. But you need a socket wrench. The black plastic comes off easily enough, but the cover itself is VERY tightly screwed on. It requires something more than a Phillips head.
    So getting back to your question, I would pretty much take all the wax off with alcohol but probably not do any more wetsanding. Then ofcourse the technique you mentioned. But I would practice a lot before even touching my car. If I did it now, I would put it on took thick or uneven. And no sanding would fix that. I would just have a mess.....and another case of trying to make something better but making it worse.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456