autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tricks with WOWA's like Opti-Seal?

Hi Folks,
    Not sure if this is the right place to pose some questions about such products?

Over the past couple weeks, I've been playing around with a couple WOWA type products, such as UPGP, in which a small sample was given to me, and a brand new fresh 8oz bottle of Optimum Opti-Seal.

I did some Door Jambs, and under hood and trunk areas with the UPGP, and applied prior to a 15% alcohol wipedown.
    I noticed a little bit of oily streaks left behind the next day, and these wiped right off with a MF Towel. Looked very nice, and was very easy. I liked the idea of no powdery residues left behind in these tight areas.

Now yesterday, and today, I tried the Optimum Opti Seal on a few little items around the house, like my Bathroom Countertop, and bathroom Vanity Mirror.

Since Optimum says this product can be used on things like glass, and others like vinyl-plastic, and headlights-tail lights, I thought I'd try it.

No real noticeable difference on the countertop shne, just a slicker feel was all. The Vanity Mirror, after a bit of hazing, and wiped clean had a nice slick feel as well, and thought I'd try it on my car glass this morning.

The glass was all cleaned with Sprayway Glass Cleaner, and was clayed and cleaned with Spraway about a week ago.

After application to the glass, I noted a haze like what Rain-X does after application. After 20 minutes, I did go back with a damp cotton towel, and was still a greasy smeary haze left. Even after another cleaning with Sprayway Cleaner, there was still a good amount of smearing.

The glass was a lot slicker, and I noted that the Opti-Seal did pull a lot of dirt off that clayng, and Sprayway didn't seem to get off.

Is this common of these WOWA products? They don't actually seem like WOWA, when you have to go back and deal with oily smearing. Or am I doing something wrong?

I know Opti-Seal probably is not the optimum product to be using on glass, but I'm thinking I would encounter similar results of clean paint as well? Thanks, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tricks with WOWA's like Opti-Seal?

almost sounds like you are useing to much,depending on your applicator,i would clean the glass with ipa then take a mf applicator and spray the pad 1 time and either do a windsheild or side glass and do 2 glass panels at same time.reason being is it does not take much.if i see a streak or build up i flip over mf pad and buff off.do it in the shade for best results

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, are you applying the opti-seal VERY thin? One or two sprays should be enough to do a whole car door. if the applicator is already primed and wet, you can use even less.

Post Thanks / Like

The oily smear you are likely seeing is from using to much product. When I use products that are WOWA (Wipe On Walk Away), I always follow the application up with a microfiber and a light touch to avoid later surprises. (opti-seal, opti-coat)

Next time you apply opti-seal to windows, paint... (a window is probably the easiest to see the flashing) watch the product flash/dry. It is nothing like watching paint dry and only should take 1-2 minutes. You will notice that some of the oily spots disappear and some do not, the ones that do not disappear are a result of to much product. Lightly wiping a microfiber towel over the spot will quickly and easily remove it. If the product is allowed to dry like that, it will not wipe off as easy and depending how long it has cured you may need to use a product for taking wax/sealant off.

As a general practice, I always lightly wipe surfaces are applying opti-seal just in case there is a high spot (oily spot) that I didn't see, just give it a chance to flash first. I have never had any trouble with wiping off the protection and it has kept me from finding any high spots later.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Too much product...but, if you're heavy handed you can use compressed air to dry it faster leaving virtually NO streaks even when over applying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Too much product...but, if you're heavy handed you can use compressed air to dry it faster leaving virtually NO streaks even when over applying.
    I appreciate everyone chiming in, including you too Chris.

Maybe this was an overly applied application, I used the yellow Sponge Pad that accompanied my order, I primed the Pad with a Squirt or two, went to apply, and the product was dragging across the glass, like there was not enough product.

So, a couple spritzes more across 1/2 the windshield, and the product now is starting to spread like one would think this product should spread.

Will this product, in lesser amounts spread without any haze?

Lemme tell you, this afternoon I busted my cojones trying to rid my glass of this product's haze-smearing, Two times I cleaned the glass after with Sprayway, then Wiped the entire car down with clear warm water, then buff the glass with a MF Towel, then back to Sprayway two times, and while I got rid of 90% of the hazing, and clouding, I'm figuring that by the time I'm done getting rid of the after effects of this product, that will be two months down the road, when the product finally wears off the glass.

Or, I use some other glass treatment that will come along and rid the glass of Opti-Seal.

Maybe next up is 91% alcohol, or Rain-X for starters.

I don't so much mind these processes, or backward progress, because this crapbox I drive daily is a test bed for many of the AG products.

Of the 3 Optimum products I have on hand, this one is truly mystifying me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

Will this product, in lesser amounts spread without any haze?
    I have found it to always be visible when applying it to glass and you will notice the product flashing off with that oil slick look. But if your applying the "correct" amount, the time between application and flashing to clear can be quick depending on the weather.

Far as removing it, if you have some Griots Paint Prep or APC/OPC it should come off without any trouble. I think you just need something a little more aggressive. I usually try to clean my windows with optimum instant detailer once I have a good coat of opti-seal on them, however, I have had to use stoners/megs window cleaner before on my opti-sealed windows and it did not remove the sealant. It may have shortened its life, but that is a different story.

I have never used RainX but I have been very happy with opti-seal on my windows. Goes on quick, have had it last 6+ months on all my windows except the windshield, and considering I only use opti-seal on my windows the 8 oz bottle is going to last me a very long time.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crxman2010 View Post
    I have found it to always be visible when applying it to glass and you will notice the product flashing off with that oil slick look. But if your applying the "correct" amount, the time between application and flashing to clear can be quick depending on the weather.

Far as removing it, if you have some Griots Paint Prep or APC/OPC it should come off without any trouble. I think you just need something a little more aggressive. I usually try to clean my windows with optimum instant detailer once I have a good coat of opti-seal on them, however, I have had to use stoners/megs window cleaner before on my opti-sealed windows and it did not remove the sealant. It may have shortened its life, but that is a different story.

I have never used RainX but I have been very happy with opti-seal on my windows. Goes on quick, have had it last 6+ months on all my windows except the windshield, and considering I only use opti-seal on my windows the 8 oz bottle is going to last me a very long time.
    Thanks again for this advice.

I'm hoping that this thread hasn't been seen as a bashing of the product, I'm sure it's a superb product, that the problem is the dufus (me) behind the application pad, and I just don't know yet how to properly work with this product.

May I then ask some pertinent questions, and tips about application so I can better understand the product, and how to properly apply it?

What type pad do you folks then use to apply it with, a standard Yellow Polyfoam Applicator? Or?

Let's say one is going to apply on a section 1/2 the size of an average sized car wndshield, or a panel of comparable size. Then how much product per such a section? Is that too large a section to apply at a time?

Then, how long would you say one has to work-spread the product? Does this product have a bit of work time, or must one work at breakneck speed to apply?

If there's any other tips about application, please do comment, I wish to learn the right way. Thanks all, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Well for me I used wolfgang dgls and i'd assume it's a pretty similar product as it does also say it can be used on glass. What i did was I used one of those red/pink rectangular microfiber applicators (I'd recommend it as microfiber usually doesn't tend to drag much). I did my whole car first but i'm sure you can just go straight to the window. I used 1 squirt to prime the pad and 1 squirt for half of the windshield.

Initially I think I experienced something similar to what you saw so what I did was when i spread the product over the section of the windshield, I would really "work-in" the product. When I say that I mean I didn't apply any more pressure but I spent alot of time going back and forth over the panel until it seemed to be flashing pretty quickly. I guess if you're wondering about work time from what I remember I probably went over a normal body panel once vertically, once horizontally, and then once vertically. This seemed to spread it well and it flashed well.

As for the glass I basically just did the same motion twice per section (i'm rediculously anal about having a clear windshield and didn't mind spending the extra 20 seconds hah). Ended up giving me completely clear glass with absolutely no streaking. Actually became so clear that I could now notice the really light streaking I must have left on the interior glass :/. The direction doesn't really matter so long as you're alternating and overlapping your passes. Just take your time no need to spread it as fast as physically possible it'll give you plenty of time to spread it around before it disappears. Just don't be a turtle moving too slow haha. For the rest of the car I just did 1 squirt per panel and split the hood, roof, and trunk into two panels. Got great results!

Not sure if that was a confusing explanation but it's been a long day hope it helps though!
    Last edited by Speed-Dude; 11-29-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

...What type pad do you folks then use to apply it with, a standard Yellow Polyfoam Applicator? Or?

...If there's any other tips about application, please do comment, I wish to learn the right way. Thanks all, Mark
    Not a fan of using applicator pads (foam or mf).
    Cotton towel (mf works as well), cut into approx. 16x16, folded into 8ths.
    4-5 primer sprays, apply product, then 1 spray or so per panel when necessary.
    I always do the horizontal panels first, windshield second, then rest of vehicle.
    I'm getting somewhere close to 30 applications per 8 oz bottle.

This is a cheap and effective product. Experiment with various application options.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast