autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tricks with WOWA's like Opti-Seal?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

I did some Door Jambs, and under hood and trunk areas with the UPGP, and applied prior to a 15% alcohol wipedown.

After application to the glass, I noted a haze like what Rain-X does after application. After 20 minutes, I did go back with a damp cotton towel, and was still a greasy smeary haze left. Even after another cleaning with Sprayway Cleaner, there was still a good amount of smearing.

The glass was a lot slicker, and I noted that the Opti-Seal did pull a lot of dirt off that clayng, and Sprayway didn't seem to get off.

Is this common of these WOWA products? They don't actually seem like WOWA, when you have to go back and deal with oily smearing. Or am I doing something wrong?

I know Opti-Seal probably is not the optimum product to be using on glass, but I'm thinking I would encounter similar results of clean paint as well? Thanks, Mark
    You said you applied the product BEFORE using 15% ipa. Did you mean after?

Do you mean you used a damp towel on the surface 20 minutes after application to remove hazing? That doesn't sound like enough time for the product to cure. It sounds like the recipe to a mess. It does sound like you are over applying
    Thanks again for this advice.

I'm hoping that this thread hasn't been seen as a bashing of the product, I'm sure it's a superb product, that the problem is the dufus (me) behind the application pad, and I just don't know yet how to properly work with this product.

May I then ask some pertinent questions, and tips about application so I can better understand the product, and how to properly apply it?

What type pad do you folks then use to apply it with, a standard Yellow Polyfoam Applicator? Or?

Let's say one is going to apply on a section 1/2 the size of an average sized car wndshield, or a panel of comparable size. Then how much product per such a section? Is that too large a section to apply at a time?

Then, how long would you say one has to work-spread the product? Does this product have a bit of work time, or must one work at breakneck speed to apply?

If there's any other tips about application, please do comment, I wish to learn the right way. Thanks all, Mark

Here is a video. (It is not my video,but I found it to be very helpful)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzfMS_S0NiY]Steves Opti-seal Demo - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Blackthorn One, I meant I did a wipe down with the Alcohol prior to application of UPGP. Sorry, my error.

In your other observation, you figure I went back to wipe too soon?
    How long would you suggest? Thanks, Mark PS: Thanks too for the vids!

Post Thanks / Like

Tricks with WOWA's like Opti-Seal?-dscn0287-jpg

Tricks with WOWA's like Opti-Seal?-dscn0288-jpg
    After a little thought this morning, I thought to myself "what else can I Optimum-ize around here"?

So, this afternoon, I gave the four tires, and wheels on my Tahoe the full treatment, Opti-Seal on the Wheels, and Opti-Bond Gel on the Tires.

I first fully cleaned the tires, and even gave a wipe down with Turpentine, with a small brush, and some old towels to remove all previous tire dressing products. The Wheels were wiped down with full strength 70% IPA, then wiped again with a dry clean cotton towel.

I made sure that I was much more stingy with the Opti-Seal, doing two spritzes on a MF Applicator, then after doing two wheels, applied one more spritz to the applicator, and went on to apply to the other two wheels.

No hazing, no streaking, the product went on perfectly.

Then onto the tires. This time, I used a small clean foam sponge applicator that came with some other tire product around here.

I first applied the Opti-Bond Gel full strength on the first application, and you could see there were areas in which the tires were soaking in the product like a sponge. Just a light retouching as I went filled in these thirsty areas.

I waited about 10 minutes, by the time I was finished applying the first coat, I came back and did a decond coat, this time a 50/50 dilution with water. Let dry.

About 40 minutes later, came back to examine my work, and took a small MF towel to lightly wipe the wheels.

Here's a couple pics. Now keep in mind, these Michelin 275/70-16 LTX tires, and wheels are 13 years old, and been beaten to death over the past 9 years by a southwest desert sun. Prior to that about 6 Chicago winters.

Sort of a waste of great products, and in these two pics the Opti-Bond Gel is bone dry. Reason I say "waste", is I'm planning on replacing both tires, and wheels in the spring. Plan on a nice set of 5 spoke chrome 20's, with a 275/55-20 tire. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Also, on that Vanity Bathroom Mirror that I applied Opti-Seal to, I used to have a small magnifying mirror with three suction cups that I used to place on the Vanity Mirror.

It doesn't stick anymore, won't stay put for one second. The glass on the mirror is too ultra slick now. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Blackthorn One, I meant I did a wipe down with the Alcohol prior to application of UPGP. Sorry, my error.

In your other observation, you figure I went back to wipe too soon?
    How long would you suggest? Thanks, Mark PS: Thanks too for the vids!
    You said you used a damp towel, and I believe this is a water based sealant, and most water based sealants need 12-24 hours before they should be exposed to water and are moisture sensitive, which affects the quality of the coating, it should not be exposed to water for 12-24 hours. Using a dry towel to buff off excess is effective, though. Chris from Optimum or someone else who can say it isn't a water based product can correct me. If this IS a water based product, then I can see how using a towel damp with water would make a hazy mess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123