autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone can help with rust on car decal emblem

My accord emblem has rust

Scratch repair on bumper-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352413884-987994-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch repair on bumper

Ncs, try rubbing the emblem with mineral spirits
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have any?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ncs0816 View Post
    Anyone can help with rust on car decal emblem

My accord emblem has rust

Scratch repair on bumper-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352413884-987994-jpg
    Krud Kutter 8 oz. Rust Remover and Inhibitor at Home Depot. Use 000 steel wool and rub the rust off. I used it in a set of chrome olympic weights worked like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Your the man. Thanks everyone for the gas replies

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I just put a fresh coat of paint on itAttachment 14156
    If the bondo is too thick it's just going to crack. I believe you have to use a special filler made for these bumpers. Additionally you need to sand primer and feather the edges before you blend the paint. Don't mask with hard lines and open up the area beyond just the damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    If the bondo is too thick it's just going to crack. I believe you have to use a special filler made for these bumpers. Additionally you need to sand primer and feather the edges before you blend the paint. Don't mask with hard lines and open up the area beyond just the damage.
    What I don't understand is. I put the bondo in the crack. And I laid down a fresh coat of paint. If I sand the paint smooth won't it come off. Or am I going to have a bump either way

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't understand is. I put the bondo in the crack. And I laid down a fresh coat of paint. If I sand the paint smooth won't it come off. Or am I going to have a bump either way
    The material under the paint needs to be sanded smooth. Make it as perfect as possible because paint isn't going to hide anything in fact just the reverse it will show the imperfections.

From what I can see in the picture the bondo isn't smooth and you have hard edged on the factory paint around the repair. If the damage area is 4 inches you need to prep a bigger area say 8-1 inches. This will allow you to feather (lightly) sand or blend the good area into the repaired area. After it is all preped up you should be painting at least half the bumper. This is an old painters technique that tricks your eyes where the paint blend isn't noticable.

Does this make sense to you? Search YouTube there are plenty of bumper repair DIY videos. Also reverse masking will not leave a hard edge. There are videos on that as well.

IMO the only way to get rid of those hard paint edges around the repair is to sand them smooth so yes you will be taking off some of the paint just applied. Prep again and respray. Remember blendiing is your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    The material under the paint needs to be sanded smooth. Make it as perfect as possible because paint isn't going to hide anything in fact just the reverse it will show the imperfections.

From what I can see in the picture the bondo isn't smooth and you have hard edged on the factory paint around the repair. If the damage area is 4 inches you need to prep a bigger area say 8-1 inches. This will allow you to feather (lightly) sand or blend the good area into the repaired area. After it is all preped up you should be painting at least half the bumper. This is an old painters technique that tricks your eyes where the paint blend isn't noticable.

Does this make sense to you? Search YouTube there are plenty of bumper repair DIY videos. Also reverse masking will not leave a hard edge. There are videos on that as well.

IMO the only way to get rid of those hard paint edges around the repair is to sand them smooth so yes you will be taking off some of the paint just applied. Prep again and respray. Remember blendiing is your friend.
    Thank you do much for the speedy reply. I sanded with 80 grit then followed up with 220 and then 400

I laid some plastic adhesive and then I just put down some primer. I choose a greenish brown primer so it can really bring out the color and hide any imperfections in case I ###### upScratch repair on bumper-imageuploadedbytapatalk1352501986-078034-jpg

I went up to a place called total auto center and they were so helpful. I talked with this guy named chuck and he really helped me out to choose the right paint. I'm about ready to sand the primer and lay my first cost of paint. Wish me luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck keep us posted. Work clean and take your time.

Try also including a wider angle shot of the car for some perspective.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast