autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to remove sticker residue

Guys, the thing is I bought a small utility van a couple months ago (Renault Kangoo, don't think it's sold in the US). It's been a rental car from day one (10 years old now) and you can still read the details on the back panels. Ill put some pics up tomorrow if needed but the van is wet now, as it is raining again in sunny Belgium.

I used Poorboy's SSR3 and a yellow cutting pad (lake country), but no luck... Also worth to mention, I have no prior experience with heavier polishes or things like wet sanding etc. That's why I'm here. Any solid advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to remove sticker residue

A lot of times the 10 year old paint around the decals will be deteriorated by weather elements such as sun, acid rain etc. and also from the chemical and abrading action of washing and/or polishing of the vehicle. This will leave the paint thin in all areas other than in the areas where the decals have been (for 10 years) protecting the paint underneath them. (this is called decal or letter ghosting) Left to my imagination, you are likely dealing with this rather than than actual adhesive residue.

If my thinking is correct in your case, covering up the areas with new/different decals may be an option, that is if you plan on re-lettering it. The other option would be to sand the area where the decals were down level with the rest of the paint, and repaint the vehicle.

If you are dealing with actual adhesive residue, lacquer thinner or 3M Adhesive remover would likely be less aggressive or more effective than SSR3 on such an aggressive pad.

So, are you dealing with adhesive residue or ghosting?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ghosting, you are spot on...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 328ci View Post
    Guys, the thing is I bought a small utility van a couple months ago (Renault Kangoo, don't think it's sold in the US). It's been a rental car from day one (10 years old now) and you can still read the details on the back panels. Ill put some pics up tomorrow if needed but the van is wet now, as it is raining again in sunny Belgium.

I used Poorboy's SSR3 and a yellow cutting pad (lake country), but no luck... Also worth to mention, I have no prior experience with heavier polishes or things like wet sanding etc. That's why I'm here. Any solid advice
    The best way to remove sticker or decal is to use Light Thinner or Spirit. Rub it on the sticker. leave it for little while and then peel it off. Or you can use hair dryer, heat up the sticker and peel it of

Post Thanks / Like

Ghosting is impossible to fix. I've tried and tried tons of different techniques. Nothing works.