autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 Black Denaili with waterspots

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    I have never used GG Machine Polish 3 but I can tell you that there are some reasons a 2 step polishing system like M105/M205 work extremely well.

M105, on most of the cars I have worked on, with a DA polisher will leave slight micromarring or haze. On harder paints or metallics it is sometimes very hard to see... you have to be like 3 inches away from the paint with the Brinkman. For some people that could be enough and they will consider the car ready for wax or sealant.

For black or softer paint systems, following up with M205 is a necessity. It will remove the rest of the hazing, micromarring, (or holograms from rotary application) from the compounding step. The amount of gloss and distinction of image you gain from M205 is just too much to skip.

Another option is a diminishing abrasives compound/polish... something like CarPro Fixer. With this you could level defects and polish down to a swirl free finish in one step as the abrasives diminish into an ever finer polish (in theory and depending on the paint/pads/tool/technique/etc).
    100% correct. The M105 does need a follow up, which is why the second step is needed. I have seen pictures of car's with that combo and the end result's are awesome.

I was just saying why not start out with a polish like griots machine polish 3 that doesn't need a second step. Just a thought that's all. Im going to be testing it out soon with my DA.
    2003 SVT COBRA
    Built and prepped by Mustang Magic (home of snakebite)
    Tuned by Joey at Mustang Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stangfreak View Post
    100% correct. The M105 does need a follow up, which is why the second step is needed. I have seen pictures of car's with that combo and the end result's are awesome.

I was just saying why not start out with a polish like griots machine polish 3 that doesn't need a second step. Just a thought that's all. Im going to be testing it out soon with my DA.
    I did a red Dodge Dakota that was pretty swirled out with a few spots. It turned out pretty sweet:
    - wash
    - no clay as paint was actually smooth, just swirled and a little dull
    - PC7424XP with LC orange pad with Megs M205
    - Megs Gold Class liquid wax
    The truck belonged to my Uncle and he brought the wax.
    Maybe try a combo similar to that for your Denali

Post Thanks / Like
    Well everyone has an opinion, so here is mine:

- I would not buy a GG Polisher, especially as your first machine. First reason is, they have been known to generate too much heat and melt foam pads.

It's critical to not let your pad get saturated with product and to not run this machine at high speeds for long periods of time, as the machine can create more heat than its able to release. This can cause (and has caused) many new to machine polishing to cook pads and backing plates.

Since your new, I'm assuming you don't have a lot of extra pads to switch them out frequently, or have a spare backing plate in case one melts. I think the PC 7424 is a better designed machine that you would rarely (if ever) have this issue with. Not to mention there have been several threads on here about Griots machines that have died.

- Also, I wouldn't recommend the M105/205 combo in your situation. First, it may not be the most user friendly combo to learn how to polish with.

M105 is a powerful compound with a short work time that is great for a pro detailer. But for a new guy with water spots on his new truck it's probably overkill. Remember, compounding removes paint, and you want to remove as little as possible.

You may instill more marring with the M105 that is required to remove the defects, and M205 may not always be a fine enough polish to finish with on black.

I think you would be much better off with a polish (not a compound) and a fine polish. I would recommend a pair from Menzerna, Optimum, or Wolfgang. On a new truck, you may only need a fine polish if the only defects are water spots.

- I wouldn't recommend microfiber pads either. This is another product that can cut fast and remove heavier defects (and more paint). The right foam pads and polish are probably all you will need to remove defects on a new truck, unless its in poor shape. Also foam will always finish, better, which may be important since you are new and working on black paint.

- for a great look, I would try a sealant topped with a wax. If you spend $50 at AutoGeek, you can get a free 2oz sample of Blackfire or Wolfgang Sealant. This is more than enough to do a truck, let it cure, then top it with the P21S. This will also give better durability than a wax alone.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the advice,
    After all of the consideration I have narrowed down to the BlackFire, Menzerna, and Wolfgang. I was just given the green light by the boss lady to get the Flex HD DP.. But the one thing I'm noticing is that Menzerna is making most of the higher end polishes. So in turn should I go straight to the Menzerna product line, in which I have hear good things about, however I have hear that it was a real dusty product to work with. Also can you Clay windows, I have the etching on the windows as well. I was looking at claying the windows and/or the CG waterspot remover any luck with anyone of those products.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found the Menz to dust quite a lot, mind you, I'm not exactly an expert so it may be my technique that's the problem. As for claying windows, I was under the impression you need to be careful with tints?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12