autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: water blade??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: water blade??

i just see that as user error or poor technique/careless

yea, i see your pt, but if you are careful, clean it often you shouldnt damage anything using rubber. but nothing is idiot proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Why risk damaging the paint just to save a minute or two? Even a small speck of dirt that is stuck in front of the rubber blade will scratch straight down. I would be wary of any detailer that unnecessarily took risks with the paint just to get the car out the door as quick as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if your car is washed throughly wind can quickly blow dirt and debris onto your car before you have a chance to dry it.

Post Thanks / Like

OP. not to sound rude but your business model is horrible. There's a reason detailing business' don't use a water blade. Just on the off chance that a piece of dirt can scratch the paint, why take that risk? Most of us use compressed air to dry the car for those simple reasons. But the fact that you say you're "cutting corners to save time" is not something I'd want to hear from a business.
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

I use my water blade on cars that are getting a full detail, and have not had any problems yet. I will not use it on my personal vehicle that was recently painted. Like most members here, I do not use a leaf blower, instead I take my shop-vac and suck the water out of all the cracks and crevices. WITHOUT TOUCHING THE VEHICLE. This process has worked great for me.
    2007 Chevy Equinox
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the hang up is the term cut corners. Think of it more as good, great, and million dollar car show perfect. Great is cutting corners from perfect, good from great. I understand a shop not wanting to offer the cheaper service but I don't look down on a company that offers a budget detail which makes the customer happy.

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texsox View Post
    I think the hang up is the term cut corners. Think of it more as good, great, and million dollar car show perfect. Great is cutting corners from perfect, good from great. I understand a shop not wanting to offer the cheaper service but I don't look down on a company that offers a budget detail which makes the customer happy.

thats y u always match your services to your customers needs...if u need to modify your services to meet your custermers needs,better for you.cutting corners is never good...IE... if its a daily driver... dont try to sell them a full paint correction...alwys recommend services thats customers NEED... not what YOU want. Over selling or under selling can come to bite you in the butt...

Post Thanks / Like

You can't ever mention things like "cut corners" on forums like this without the backlash. I had no problem understanding that he's not talking about doing show cars or garage queens here. In the detailing world, is it only ok to do high end work? Or is everything below that looked down on? As an outsider looking in, it often appears that way.

btw, just wondering... if a piece of dirt can get caught by the blade and swirl up the finish, isn't the same true if you are using a towel? Or are some of you drying 100% no touch or using a towel that can't catch dirt in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fusion View Post
    btw, just wondering... if a piece of dirt can get caught by the blade and swirl up the finish, isn't the same true if you are using a towel? Or are some of you drying 100% no touch or using a towel that can't catch dirt in it?
    Towels have nap, which means that the grit will be caught in the microfiber, possibly lessening any damage caused. No nap to trap the grit on a waterblade - any dirt in the blade's path is going to be dragged across the paint.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texsox View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fusion View Post
    You can't ever mention things like "cut corners" on forums like this without the backlash. I had no problem understanding that he's not talking about doing show cars or garage queens here. In the detailing world, is it only ok to do high end work? Or is everything below that looked down on? As an outsider looking in, it often appears that way.

well at least a few people understand what im talking about. So im assuming all you guys do $1000 jobs on soccer moms honda accords??

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast