autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Applicator Suggestions

Well thanks for the tips, I will definitely have to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tip, what product works well with a brush?

Post Thanks / Like

As I said in my previous post, all dressings that require application (as opposed to spray and walk away foams) work well with a paint brush. I like Meguiars Hot Shine and also their Endurance. With Hot Shine I spray it on the tire and work it in with the paint brush - you do not need much as the brush spreads it thin. The Endurance is a gel type liquid (at least it use to be) although I believe it now comes in both aerosol and a mister spray. With the gel I simply put several drops on the brush which is why I recommend a tightly knit brush in order to hold the gel in the bristles. I also use Protectant 303 on tires now and then and a brush is critical to spread out this product because it just sits where you spray it and does not dry uniformly like the dedicated tire dressings. Lately I've been trying Duragloss 265 because I can use it on everything, not just tires. I have found that I don't need to spread it out nearly as much as the other products. Just a light movement of the brush into the tire markings, lettering and design features is all you need if you use 265.

You may have to go through two or three different brushes until you find one that best fits your hand and works well with the specific product you choose. Don't worry about getting a pro painter's brush as the cheapos under five bucks work just as well (as long as the bristles are tightly woven) - remember, you are simply spreading tire dressing, not touching up a Rembrandt masterpiece here.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great success using a small paint gun with my air compressor: very uniform look, quicker application to boot. Never going back to the old way again!!

Post Thanks / Like

Paintbrush. What a genius idea. Also a Homer-type "d'oh!".
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to thread jack here, but, I've seen them used at the Infiniti dealership and I noticed Swissvax sells them too. To those that do use them, is there an issue with using to much dressing, that you have to wipe off??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitiman View Post
    To those that do use them, is there an issue with using to much dressing, that you have to wipe off??
    Seems like I alway over do it when applying any tire dressing. (Don't t want to miss a spot.) End up giving the tires a quick wipe down.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like
    I always used a cotton wax applicator when I used to use one for tires. The dressing I'm addicted to now has a really fine mist that is easy to control and goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

not to go over to the dark side, but adam's makes a great tire dressing applicator - best I've tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    A paint brush with fine, thin bristles that are tightly wound with a high concentration of bristles (thick but short with softest bristles you can find). Clean off with a rag after each use and store in a baggie. Perfect control especially around rims, cheap to purchase almost anywhere, don't have to wear rubber gloves on your hand, works with every product, won't waste dressing because you can spread it very thin if you wish just like you would paint which helps control the amount of gloss you want - bonus is a brush lasts a long, long time. The secret is finding a brush with short, fine bristles that are fairly tightly compacted together. Find the right brush and you'll never go back to a foam applicator.
    That's what I usually use, too: in fact I have been using it since I was a little kid (when I applied a alcohol + glycerin concoction bought by my father...I didn't know better!).

The only thing I do prior to using it is put some masking tape on the metal part that holds the bristles (to prevent any accident).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast