autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: M-105 Slings like crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    I'm going to have to go with you're applying too much product to the pad, or lifting the pad without realizing it. There really isn't a reason that one product would sling more than another.
    I'm with you on this point.

I used to deal with the sling and cleanup of products while rotary polishing. Here's how I got around it. I have studied the Kevin Brown method extensively. If you read or have read his articles and postings on pad priming you can see in his posted photos exactly how he primes his pad before polishing or compounding a work section.

What I have done to eliminate 98% of the sling in rotary polishing/compounding is to prime my pad exactly as Kevin shows in his articles, and then (without adding the pea sized dots of product to the pad) just start to work the polish/compound into the work section. I will spread the product around on the work section before cranking up the speed but I find that if I spread the product (M-105) around in too large of a work section it will dry up before I get to polishing over it so I have shrunk the size of my work section a bit to approx. a 1.5 foot squared section.

I use very slow overlapping section passes at approx. 1100 R.P.M. first going from side to side then up and down then back from side to side. If this hasn't corrected the paint defects (and it usually does) I will then "very lightly" mist some water on my work section and pick up the water into my pad quickly before it dries on the panel to rehydrate the product then work a few more section passes. At this point (using a very light water mist on the panel "not the pad") the correcting ability of the M-105 increases significantly and I work it until it goes to clear. This creates a good bit of dust but gets the work done much faster and I'd much rather clean up dust than M-105 splatter.

I have had to/have to test this technique on each and every job that I do as for the size of the work section and amount of product to prime the pad with as the color of paint and amount of direct sunlight will cause the product to act differently from job to job and sometimes even panel to panel but it only takes a few minutes to dial it in. No two detailing jobs are the same and what works for one may not work for the next. You have to have the ability to adjust your technique at the drop of a hat and this can be necessary even in going from one panel to the next on the same car depending on the shape of the panel, if a panel has been repainted, if working outside and the sun is shining on one panel and not the next etc. etc.

The word "Vicissitude" describes paint polishing/compounding very well as there can be a world of ever changing variables to rise above.

vi·cis·si·tudeNoun/vəˈsisəˌt(y)o͞od/

1. A change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant.
    2. Alternation between opposite or contrasting things: "the vicissitude of the seasons"

Actually the word describes "life in general" well doesn't it?

I hope this helps. TD

Post Thanks / Like

have you seen this article and vid by richy?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...technique.html
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    I'm going to have to go with you're applying too much product to the pad, or lifting the pad without realizing it. There really isn't a reason that one product would sling more than another.
    Agreed. If you putting down a normal sized bead and picking it up properly there is no reason that M105 will sling.

The thinner the polish the more likely it will be to sling IMO. M205 is noticeably thinner than M105 and even that shouldn't sling.

M205 via rotary
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

opie_7afe

to remove the dots use some mineral spirits, as by looking at the msds for m105 its one of the main solvents in the compound. so that should make removal of those dots much easier, might be able to keep some in a spray bottle and mist your pad to get a longer working time..just a suggestion..

Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect, you're doing it wrong. See if this helps you:
    EDIT: Didn't see Embolism had already posted it, sorry.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...technique.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Agreed. If you putting down a normal sized bead and picking it up properly there is no reason that M105 will sling.

The thinner the polish the more likely it will be to sling IMO. M205 is noticeably thinner than M105 and even that shouldn't sling.

M205 via rotary

I don't think I had seen that video before Chad. You make the rotary look effortless.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I don't think I had seen that video before Chad. You make the rotary look effortless.

LOL. M205 is a smooth working polish, especially when following up on an previously leveled surface with M105.

I have a few video's I've never done anything with, most of them I wasn't 100% happy with as I get nervous or uncomfortable when I'm recording and I often loose focus and do something silly, like in the first video I increased the speed when I meant to decrease it.

Here is another where I used 106fa but worked it a lot longer....

Jeweling The Paint.wmv - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same problem and switched to the mez super intensive polish which caused me no problem. i use the pc dp with lc 5.5 and 4.0yellow pads then finish with ultima wipeon/walk away sealant. the paint looks 1" deep. hope this helps.

budinsc

Post Thanks / Like

Richy's video was one of the worst ones I have seen in a while, good technique, horrible tiny field of view, thanks for posting it though. good info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    LOL. M205 is a smooth working polish, especially when following up on an previously leveled surface with M105.

I have a few video's I've never done anything with, most of them I wasn't 100% happy with as I get nervous or uncomfortable when I'm recording and I often loose focus and do something silly, like in the first video I increased the speed when I meant to decrease it.

Here is another where I used 106fa but worked it a lot longer....

Jeweling The Paint.wmv - YouTube
    Ya, you weren't kidding about longer work time on the second one. I've been using my Flex rotary more and more instead of the 3401 and polished an entire car with it from the 1st to last step just a couple weeks ago. I was very happy with my results but the process wasnt as smooth as in your video LOL practice, practice. Also, picking up a bead may not be for me
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast