autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: tips for buying a new car?

Quote Originally Posted by arenared View Post
    I would concur with others about not worrying so much about the paint. If the car is used, I would Google some forums related to the car that you are seriously interested in and become a forum member. Then surf, and ask. You will find a lot of advice about problem areas and what to look for (or out for) when looking for a used model.
    Ding ding ding ding ding ding...

Good advice. Find a forum for the "thing" you want to buy and start doing some searches, some reading and posting questions. The people that hang out on a forum for particular make and model will be passionate about that make and model and will be a treasure trove of information to help with any decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post

Then, I took it in to have a part replaced that was defective from the factory (knew this when we bought it), and they gave me a complimentary wash - after I had sent it in on a fully, extensively detailed exterior.
    And the lesson here is you can't count on the employees at a dealership to see that your car has a flawless finish, they just follow protocols and unless you hang signs in the windows, write in big bold letters on the service forms, DON'T WASH... they're going to wash it and inflict unnecessary swirls.

Sorry to hear of the mishap...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1700 View Post
    Curious..... What did you do to correct the burn thru??? Luckly, I haven't had that happen, but the odds are, it will some day....
    If you do this long enough, its gonna happen. I have 30 years into this gig and a countless number of cars under my belt. I have only lost two patients thusfar

I offered to repaint. Actually I begged the customer to let me have there door reshot. They renigged (< is that a misspell =] ) the offer and were in the process of trading up anyway. I still do their cars, so all is good I suppose. Occasionally the husand still josh'es me about it. It was a very embarrassing day for me, and he knew it
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    If you do this long enough, its gonna happen. I have 30 years into this gig and a countless number of cars under my belt. I have only lost two patients thusfar

I offered to repaint. Actually I begged the customer to let me have there door reshot. They renigged (< is that a misspell =] ) the offer and were in the process of trading up anyway. I still do their cars, so all is good I suppose. Occasionally the husand still josh'es me about it. It was a very embarrassing day for me, and he knew it
    That's great that the owner wasn't too concerned. Those are the best kind of clients to have. When ever we do a multi-step process on any vehicle, we take very little steps and check the thickness with the paint guage constantly along the way. If we ever get to a point where we feel we're getting even close to a dangerous level, we're done! We never go beyond the level where we feel the possibility of causing any damage. It's better to have the customer deal with a scratch than us having to pay for a repaint. Although, we do have insurance, it's just not worth it...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234