autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dakota Odor Bomb Trick

I use a bomb called Big D odor control bomb, same idea. I have not used Dakota personally. I put the can on the floor board on an angle to allow it to not spray directly on the liner. With the fan on recirc it doesn't really get a chance to sit on anything since the air is constantly moving. I have done two smoke removals with great success using this.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't cover the smell, eliminate it.

First, clear the drain tube from the evaporator/heater core compartment with a straight length of coat hanger, none of the bent parts. If you get a moist musty black substance on the end of your wire, you found your problem, eliminate the mold with an enzymatic cleaner designed for the task.

If there is no mold in the heater core area, the next best thing is to remove the covers to the a.c. vents if possible and snake out as much dirt as possible. Steam can also work, but it has to be hot enough to kill bacteria, and strong enough to reach everywhere before it cools to a non-killing temp. The only problem with this method is the old, dead bacteria and mold can become food for new bacteria and mold if the conditions that started the cycle reappear. Usually this is the introduction of moisture into an area that contains an ample food supply. Organic debris like dead skin cells, pollen and plant debris are the usual suspects, so removing the food source and moisture is essential.

The problem with cover up bombs is that the longer the scents last, the worse the true bacteria/mold build up can get, so when they inevitably fade, the problem returns with a vengeance.

Post Thanks / Like

natures miracle or fresh wave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Try one Meguiar's air refresher odor eliminators. Gets into the AC system.
    Thanks, I'll probably try this one out in another car I'll be working on.

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    I use a bomb called Big D odor control bomb, same idea. I have not used Dakota personally. I put the can on the floor board on an angle to allow it to not spray directly on the liner. With the fan on recirc it doesn't really get a chance to sit on anything since the air is constantly moving. I have done two smoke removals with great success using this.
    Okay cool, I guess it works the same as Dakota. I'll let you know if I'm successful with my Dakota or not. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    The problem with cover up bombs is that the longer the scents last, the worse the true bacteria/mold build up can get, so when they inevitably fade, the problem returns with a vengeance.
    Hmmm it was my assumption that the Dakota bomb ELIMINATES the odor and not cover it up? But I get the point I'd need to thoroughly clean all vents and nooks and crannies as much as I can to eliminate unpleasant odors.

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    natures miracle or fresh wave
    Haven't heard of this yet, I'll do a research of this as well and availability on my place. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duffthebluff View Post

Hmmm it was my assumption that the Dakota bomb ELIMINATES the odor and not cover it up? But I get the point I'd need to thoroughly clean all vents and nooks and crannies as much as I can to eliminate unpleasant odors.
    Read post #6 of this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    Read post #6 of this thread.
    Fair enough, however the OP stated that he also used a different product that eliminated the odor. True enough, I wished I had more time to disassemble my A/C unit to clean it but couldn't afford that time

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345