autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What I've Learned (Warning: Long)

After replying to a post and attempting to offer advice, I thought it may be helpful to other's starting out in the detail biz if I shared my story and laid out a list some products used and why they're my fave. This is just what works for me. Do what you want with said advice.

TO BEGIN:

I had sold cars for a living and loved it. Back then I'd take a trade-in and drive it back to the detail department. You can imagine the condition of these vehicles. The stench, dirt and utter filth, just gross. Minivans seemed the worse....lol. But then....almost miraculously, I'd see my disgusting trade-in sitting on the front lot looking all shiny, almost like new. Now I know they obviously washed the cars, but I was ignorant of anything else really. Did they wax them? I don't know. Hey that spot in the carpet is gone. How'd they get that up? It doesn't smell like trash dump anymore. Huh? I was a salesman not a detailer.

Then the economy took a dump. The car biz died. I had to do something. While I waited to find 'another job' I turned my car into the bank and bought a 1989 Mercedes E190. It was basic transportation and it hadn't been washed in possibly forever. Rough was an understatement. I took it too a machine wash/detail center and paid $100 to have them 'detail' it. They basically ran it through the bay, vacuumed, shampooed interior and did the windows. The main guy there said he took the water spots off one of the windows and that he could do the others too. I asked how much. $100 PER WINDOW. (W.T.H.?!?!? I thought.) I'm not paying this guy $100 a window to take off water spots. (They were bad, but not $100/window bad).

So it got me thinking.....do people REALLY pay $100 a window to have water spots removed? Hhhmmmmm....

Time to research 'auto detailing' on youtube. Cuz I'm a visual-learner, you see.

After seeing Paul Dalton on youtube videos and the amount of money he made detailing exotics and the like, it intrigued me. Number one, why would ANYONE pay that much to have a car detailed? Number two, what exactly is he doing to these cars that would justify the crazy amounts he charged? So I watched his technique. then I watched what products he used. But these cars already look like new to me, so is he really accomplishing that much? I was naïve to say the least.

Then I researched the products. What types of reviews did they get? Pros and cons, what were they? Did a particular wax become harder to remove if it stayed on too long? What about detailing in the sun? Is there anyone who makes products for use in the sun? (Poorboys if you didn't know already). What's an effective way to remove water spots, haha. The list goes on and on.

Then I saw some 'before and afters'. WOW. I was on another forum and saw some of the cars from their Saturday Class. People could really make cars go from crap to beautiful?

My E190 was the guinea pig. I must have clayed that car every time I washed it. Not kidding. But man was it smoooooooooth and shiny. For some reason claying fascinated me. I think seeing the grime and crud on the clay bar after was interesting. And something I could show clients to build value in later on once/if I ever have clients.

So I placed an ad on craigslist offering detail services. Then I got a call. Oh crap. What do I say? I answered his questions best I could, tried not to look like too much of a newb, but oh well. All I had was a rotary buffer, wool pad, cleaning supplies and some glaze, wax and tire shine.

This hobby became a 'business'. I was lucky when another guy called who sold a lot of cars. These cars always turned out to be FULL details. I was cheap. Too cheap. But that was what I needed to do to truly learn the craft. There were times I'd have no clue how to approach a certain issue, but I'd come up with something. (Ink on the back seat, try WD40 blot with towel). He was cool with me trying different stuff cuz I was cheap and did a good job.

THINGS I USE:

Here we go....

SHAMPOO: Chemical Guy's Gloss Works OR Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash and Gloss.
    Great suds; leaves vehicles shiny. Perfect for those 'Wash n Wax' details. Little goes a long way. Cost effective.

ALL PURPOSE CLEANER: Meg's APC+. I use it on EVERYTHING. Engine bays, tires, wheel wells, seats, both cloth and leather, carpet, headliner, just everywhere. Diluted properly though. I don't need 5 different cleaners. I need one.

CLAY LUBE: Optimum No-Rinse. A gallon lasts a long time, even when I'm super busy. Pennies for costs per application. It's slick and it works. Period.

SHOP VAC: I use the Rigid orange model from Home Depot. Costs me like $100. 5hp motor and it's small. I empty after every job. I used to lug around a 16 gal. That was dumb. Plus it's small and takes up little space in my truck as I'm mobile.

BUFFER: I have three currently. Started on a rotary with yellow wool pad. Wanted to learn with that beast first. Anything after that is cake. Use it on headlights with 3M Super Heavy Duty Cut Compound. Also use it with Meg's M105 after wet-sanding from 1500 to 2000 grit.

Then came the PC7424xp. Impressive and I did a ton of cars with it. Now I use it with a brush attachment for interiors. Works great with that.

FLEX 3401: My go to buffer. For bad paint it's a yellow pad, Meg's M105 and I'm off to the races. Very easy to use; forgiving, love it.

Which brings me to pads....

BUY A LOT OF PADS. You WILL go through them. I started with the CCS pads that no one liked but for some reason I had good luck with them. I still have a few but I use Chemical Guys Hex-Logic pads now. Great cutting ability, finishes out nice.

WAX: I started with an 'entry-level' wax for cheap details. Meg's Gold Class. For the money not bad. Shine is good.

Poorboy's Liquid Natty Blue: Easy on, easy off; can apply in sun.

Wolfgang Fuzion: Expensive but some clients are wowed by the price tag. Honestly not a 'must have'.

Klasse AIO: Good stuff; like the feel after applying.

Meg's Cleaner Wax: This is very versatile. I use this with a terry applicator to cover scratches under door handles. Offered to clients who are on a budget and don't want to invest in paint correction or machine polishing. I apply by hand, leaves paint feeling smooth, covers small scratches and imperfection. I've even waxed windows with this stuff. You wouldn't believe the grime that comes off windows with this stuff.

Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze: Also covers small scratches but mainly used for giving a vehicle that dripping wet 'juicy' look. I'm honest with clients when I tell them a glazes purpose and that it's not permanent.

TIRE SHINE: Meg's Hot Shine Spray. Most on here probably hate it but I love that wet look. I give clients the option of having it wiped down after applying to give tires more of a satin look. It WILL sling so understand that.

CARPET CLEANER: Lifter 1 Spot Stain Remover. Works great for difficult areas. Spray on, rub with TERRY CLOTH towel. See how dirty your towel is now?

WINDOWS: Stoner's Invisible Glass. I go over windows twice. Carry two MFs use one to clean and one to buff dry.

BRUSHES: Toothbrushes, a lot of them, lug nut brushes for vents, tire brush, harder all purpose hand brush for carpet and floormats. Most times I use my PC with brush attachment. Fast and does good job.

TIGHT CREVICES: Interior areas, use dental picks. You know the kind. Also works on perforated/vented leather seats. Poke the debris thru the holes. Use that little end that pokes/scrapes stuff out to clean between shifter, console, etc. Ever try to clean the ashtray of a Jetta where the battery charger is? Dental pick and lots of APC and q-tips my friend.

0000 SUPER FINE STEEL WOOL: Use it on exterior windows with chrome polish to remove water spots. Buff out afterwards if you want them shiny and smooth.

Use with APC on wheels to get baked on brake dust off wheels.

Works great on chrome bumpers/tail pipes too with chrome polish.

EXTRACTOR: Started with the Little Green Machine by Bissell. Ugh. Emptied it like 6x per car. Got old quick. Aztec Hot Rod is my go to. Lasted me a few years, replaced a wire in it, works better than new. Best money I've spent.

STEAMER: Started with Wagner $100 special. Did ok, not great. On some interiors it did great. GM interiors are easier to clean than say VWs. (Carpet in Jettas suck so badly. It's seriously like trunk liner felt). God forbid there's pet hair in there. Now I use a VX5000. Expensive but that thing works. Had trouble getting it to perform the way I wanted but figured it out. I tried a Tornador but not practical while being mobile as you need a large compressor to run it. Also, it was taking me longer to clean with it. That's just me.

Alright, that's enough. I hope it offers some insight to those just starting out. Maybe take some uncertainty out of equation. Good luck.
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much very informative

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What I've Learned (Warning: Long)

Awesome Stuff, very helpful!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bud!

Stuff I learned from your post
    -using dental picks for crevices/perforations
    -using steel wool for wheels
    -I should consider something better than the bissell lgm

Also I'm seeing a few flex posts. Make me want a flex instead of a rupes for my next polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed the read.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice thank you for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your story and information. Continued success to you and your business.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post, it will help others who might want to start their own business.
    It takes time to write post as this one and I'm one who is thankful for people like yourself to take time out to do it.

All the luck for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice share. :thumbup::thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast