autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 7 day soak in pad cleaner broke down paint sealant

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Dawn is great for what it was intended for, washing dishes. It's a bonus that it's great for saving wildlife polluted by man kinds oils spills. Beyond that their are better products for their intended uses. Square peg round hole syndrome.
    Added bonus..... It works great on dog fur after they roll in that stinky "worm smell" after a rain storm.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn is engineered to wash dishes and glasses without spotting--it leaves a sufactant behind so water sheets off the dish or glass so no spots are formed. It's very difficult to rinse the surfactant off with just plain water as it's engineered to cling to the surface. You can do a little experiment to prove this to yourself--wash your car using Dawn as your soap--rinse your car and it will look like the LSP has been removed because there is no beading--rinse it with plain water as much as you want and the water continues to sheet. Now, dry an area--wipe it down with an IPA solution and then rinse again--magically the beading reappears as the IPA has removed the surfactant so the water no longer sheets.

If you can't rinse the surfactant from a smooth, slick painted surface with plain water how are you going to assure yourself it has been removed from a foam pad with thousands and thousands of cells?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Dawn is engineered to wash dishes and glasses without spotting--it leaves a sufactant behind so water sheets off the dish or glass so no spots are formed. It's very difficult to rinse the surfactant off with just plain water as it's engineered to cling to the surface. You can do a little experiment to prove this to yourself--wash your car using Dawn as your soap--rinse your car and it will look like the LSP has been removed because there is no beading--rinse it with plain water as much as you want and the water continues to sheet. Now, dry an area--wipe it down with an IPA solution and then rinse again--magically the beading reappears as the IPA has removed the surfactant so the water no longer sheets.

If you can't rinse the surfactant from a smooth, slick painted surface with plain water how are you going to assure yourself it has been removed from a foam pad with thousands and thousands of cells?
    ???

Quick detailers, drying agents, rinseless washes are all surfactants. Soaps and detergents, ditto. They are engineered to break down the surface tension of water.

Water molecules are naturally attractive to each other and water beading is basically where those natural surface tension forces overcome gravity.

My guess is that pad cleaners will exhibit similar behavior as any other detergent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Yes, 1 oz in my pad soaking bucket which is probably 2 gallons.
    And here I am having trouble getting either tinted clear, or black respray out of my blue microfiber pads... Usually a dousing of the cg pad cleaner works on everything, but these will need to soak!

I knew I should have used the old orange/black buff and shine pads on that vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I just don't like the fact that I could still smell the Dawn scent in the pads after I washed/squeezed/washed/squeezed...............

To me, it means not only the scent but some of the product could be left behind. And, as it is advertised to "strip" grease off of dishes, and also clean oil off of wildlife, I just don't like the idea of any residual Dawn being in a pad that I am trying to apply waxes/polishing oils with.

Jmo
    Have you tried unscented Dawn?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the best Dawn to use for automotive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post

Maybe by final rinsing it in an IPA solution?

Just wondering after your example.

Post Thanks / Like

I've washed pads in dawn for years and have never encountered a single issue due to the minute amount of stuff left behind in the pad if that says anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123