autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a safe way to spot polish a ceramic coating with light scratches?

I have a small scuff on my front bumper cover, the bumper cover has 3 layers of CP 9H, 2 layers of CP Lite, and under all that Suntec PPF. What would be the best route to go in attempts to remove this scuff mark? The spot is 1"x1 1/2" roughly, and I can juuuuuuuust sorta feel it dragging an ultra plush towel across it. My worries are it made it through the coating layers and is in my PPF, but what would be a good "test" to find this out? Products? Techniques? I have multiple polishes at my disposal including CarPro Essence. I would like to at least make it a little less noticeable. Any tips are appreciated, even if it's "you're screwed it's in your PPF".

Thanks!
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a safe way to spot polish a ceramic coating with light scratches?

I wouldn't polish on PPF with anything abrasive, but that's just me.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

This is on a GTI / R?

A up close pic and then one that shows the overall bumper to show the surrounding area would help.

I think I would start with CarPro Essence. But it might be best to ask your detailer who did / will have to reapply all those layers of coating. Usually the best bet is to redo an entire panel of section.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@CherryOnTop View Post
    I wouldn't polish on PPF with anything abrasive, but that's just me.
    That is also my thinking, just wondering if there were others out there who have had success in this department. I know when I help my buddy at the shop we avoid PPFs with our machines.

Thanks.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

This is on a GTI / R?

A up close pic and then one that shows the overall bumper to show the surrounding area would help.

I think I would start with CarPro Essence. But it might be best to ask your detailer who did / will have to reapply all those layers of coating. Usually the best bet is to redo an entire panel of section.

Pure white 2017 GTI Sport. The Ceramic Pro was sprayed, not laid. So it was a heavy application. I figured essence and it's super low abrasive qualities would be the only option, but it is abrasive nonetheless. I figured I would be stuck with doing the whole panel again, sadly though it only has about 5,000 miles on it. I had an oppsy and feel like an idiot. To redo the panel would be the entire bumper cover, talking about $800 after new PPF and coating. Ouch... Hence my attempt to avoid that route haha. But anything to fix my baby.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVXdYkIg...pouncingpanzer

Second picture in the slideshow, that slightly discolored swipe mark near the corner of the bumper cover. I suspect it's discolored because it's deep enough and when it happened, my hands weren't the cleanest. I should've waited until daylight to attempt and realign my bumper....still kicking myself. I am picking up the new lip spoiler piece today and hope to get that at least fixed, then worry about the swipe mark.

As for the installer, he is a great dude and has already hooked my up with freebees and great service. I already put a bug in his ear that I may need to get the front bumper cover redone. Buuuuuuuuuut if that was the case I would probably just drop the doe on a Clubsport S front end and be done with it....go big or go home lol.