autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Must use car cover daily. Recommendations for best way to protect the finish.

I'm in the #nevercarcover camp, I'd find a different car. Any reason Grandpa is so particular about a car that's probably worth less than the cover?
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Must use car cover daily. Recommendations for best way to protect the finish.

It was a decision my son made on his own. But it was also an offer too good to refuse. Half price for the car, twice the car he could afford, and one maintained by a former professional mechanic.

For others - no, it's not a collector, just an immaculately maintained Avalon (66,000 miles)

Thanks for all for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post
    It was a decision my son made on his own. But it was also an offer too good to refuse. Half price for the car, twice the car he could afford, and one maintained by a former professional mechanic.

For others - no, it's not a collector, just an immaculately maintained Avalon (66,000 miles)

Thanks for all for the feedback.
    You will be inheriting that car from your son shortly.
    Have you ever put on or removed a dirty car cover in the rain? Plus all the other negatives mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BM1024 View Post
    My son is being sold a 2000 Toyota by his grandfather. One of the conditions of the sale is that this previously garaged car be covered nightly.

I'm of the belief that a cover should only be applied to a newly cleaned car, but Grandpa is firm.

I'm thinking a QD applied to a plush microfiber for a quick 5 minute wipe down before putting the cover on.

What are the opinions on the best way for my son to protect his paint while at the same time adhering to his agreement? (And please don't suggest anything that doesn't included using the cover - it's a deal breaker.)
    A QD or WW would work...... But, as mentioned, he's going to get tired of doing that every day. Plus it will scratch the CC. Best of luck.
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Regardless of what method you use to clean the car prior to putting the cover on, the cover will cause some minor scratching and swirls over a period of time. In my case, the swirls were the lesser of two evils... swirls can be corrected, sun damage cannot.
    Im not sure how you came to this conclusion. Its a lot easier to buff off a little oxidation than it is to correct swirls. I had my dark blue CR-V sit out in the sun unproteced 6 months after a hood respray, and buffed it to a mirror finish with carpro reflect finishing polish in 5 minutes. I would have taken me a half hour to do a 2-step to remove swirls and it would have removed a lot more paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    Im not sure how you came to this conclusion. Its a lot easier to buff off a little oxidation than it is to correct swirls. I had my dark blue CR-V sit out in the sun unproteced 6 months after a hood respray, and buffed it to a mirror finish with carpro reflect finishing polish in 5 minutes. I would have taken me a half hour to do a 2-step to remove swirls and it would have removed a lot more paint.
    Here's exactly how I came to that conclusion...

The point I was making is that once the oxidation process gets to the point of being visually evident the life expectancy of that paint has already been compromised. Oxidation is one of the first visually evident signs of impending paint failure. Swirls not so much.

I would look at oxidation as a structural breakdown of the paint finish. Swirls on the other hand are simply cosmetic defects.

As for buffing off a little oxidation, it may appear easier than removing swirls, but how many times have you polished away oxidation only to have the finish dull out within a short time (days or a few weeks)? That rapid dulling is because the paint is in the process of failing.

The same is not the case for swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

As for buffing off a little oxidation, it may appear easier than removing swirls, but how many times have you polished away oxidation only to have the finish dull out within a short time (days or a few weeks)? That rapid dulling is because the paint is in the process of failing.
    Ive never had that happen to be honest. The reason my paint wasnt protected was because it had recent spray and I was following instructions, and I park outside at work. But I have neighbors that park outside 24/7 and their cars paint is not failing even after several years. I cant imagine paint getting that much damage in a few days or weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KneeDragr;1405981]Ive never had that happen to be honest. The reason my paint wasnt protected was because it had recent spray and I was following instructions, and I park outside at work. But I have neighbors that park outside 24/7 and their cars paint is not failing even after several years Clear coat on the average will last 5 years without being protected (waxes, sealants, coatings) this of course has a lot of variables, mainly weather, drive through washes, etc..I can't imagine paint getting that much damage in a few days or weeks. This is after the paint has been compromised.

Post Thanks / Like

The sun exposure issue has a lot to do with what part of the country you live in.

I grew up in Northern Ohio and the sun was not a major concern there. The biggest concern there was the winters.

I now live in Southern California. Here the sun is the number one naturally occurring destructive force to be reckoned with in regards to paint life.

I would guess that one year of sun exposure in Southern California is equivalent to three or four years of sun exposure in Northern Ohio.

Post Thanks / Like

The sun exposure issue has a lot to do with what part of the country you live in.

I would guess that one year of sun exposure in Southern California is equivalent to three or four years of sun exposure in Northern Ohio.
    Exactly - and the Arizona sun is MERCILESS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast