autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wool vs. MF cutting for the Flex 3401?

I've had my 3401 for about a month now having migrated more to that than my rotary. For serious cut i have always used my wool pads on my rotary. Does anyone want to share any experience with MF cutting pads on the 3401 as opposed to a conventional wool pad for the same task? Any preference one way or the other and why?

I will be ordering some MF cutting pads so i can experiment myself but a lot of you folks may have already gone down this road.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wool vs. MF cutting for the Flex 3401?

Didn't we just go through this in another thread? It seems most people don't like MF pads on the Flex, I bought one to try a long time ago but never did. Mike Phillips was saying he personally doesn't like MF pads, and for heavy cut like you describe, used wool on a rotary or 3401.

It's this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ting-pads.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Does anyone want to share any experience with MF cutting pads on the 3401 as opposed to a conventional wool pad for the same task? Any preference one way or the other and why?
    When I first started with my 3401 (years ago) I too was in the same boat about using either pad type on the 3401 for the heavy cutting step.

At the time I had a few MF pads on hand (from the Meguiar's DCMF system) and gave those a shot to see how they would behave with the forced rotation of the 3401. They were very grabby and really gave me a workout trying to control the machine. While they did provide the cut expected, I quickly set them to the side. Next up I tried out a pair of MF pads from the OPT line and these were much more user friendly than the Meguiar's discs but still a bit too much to hold onto as they were moderately grabby.

When I ordered the Hybrid pad lineup I made sure to include the Hybrid wool pads to see how these faired with the 3401. These returned a very nice and easy buffing experience, easier than the orange Hybrid IME while cutting more so than those MF pads. I quickly grew accustomed to the feel of these and never used a mf pad on the 3401 since that period. This was back in '11.

I will be ordering some MF cutting pads so i can experiment myself but a lot of you folks may have already gone down this road.
    Let us know what you find in your results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Next up I tried out a pair of MF pads from the OPT line and these were much more user friendly than the Meguiar's discs but still a bit too much to hold onto as they were moderately grabby.

This was back in '11.
    I wonder how these LC MF pads specifically for rotary would work on a 3401, they weren't available in '11:

Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Rotary Microfiber Pads

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Tuf Buff black wool with the 3401 for several years. It gives fantastic cut (better than mf with a Rupes) and finishes down better using my method. I've even one stepped on a beige vehicle using Menz (power finish maybe?). The 3401 + black wool is a truly amazing combo. Look at any of my show & shines if you want to see.
    In fact, if you want to see a good before and after example using only the TB + M100 + 3401, check out this thread for 2 shots of the roof:

A trusting friendship: 2004 AMG S55

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried many MF pads with the 3401 and have never gotten the desired results. Wool works 10 times better.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I wonder how these LC MF pads specifically for rotary would work on a 3401, they weren't available in '11:

Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Rotary Microfiber Pads
    You just reminded me that I have this set of pads. Cant recall if I used the larger set or not. I may have to give them a run and see how they work out with the 3401/PE14.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you gentlemen! I certainly searched and found some threads on the topic including Mike P's opinion and experience however things change over time and many here find new applications for darn near everything. Thanks, Setec, for pointing out that thread. I did go through that one again last night and it seemed focused on pure DA applications. Seems the "pro" consensus was wool with rotary and 3401, MF on DA's. Was just curious about any new approaches or certain MF pads with the 3401.

It's kind of funny that i have been using generally slower machine speeds with my new 3401. That is, compared to when i would correct with my rotary. I was thinking about the application of MF pads vs. Wool at these slower speeds.

And...

I TOTALLY forgot about the hybrid dark blue wool pads!!! Doh! I love the LC Hybrids on the Flex 3401 and will probably just go for a bunch of those. Danke Herr Ploesser! I will also get some Tuf Buff Blacks too. Those will also work on my pure rotary if needed as well. Both of those recommendations come from a couple of guys i have the highest respect for and having borrowed some of their suggestions before i have never been let down.

Thanks again, gang. I appreciate your comments.