autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?

Hi,

Is a Black_Optics_Microfiber_Orange_Cutting_Pad a better choice than a HEX-LOGIC MEDIUM-HEAVY CUTTING PAD, ORANGE for removing wetsanding marks (3000 grit) with my PC 7424xp?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?

Better is something that cant be answered without knowing alot of other factors.

What you should do is a test spot with both and see which one works better for your conditions.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking he was looking to buy one or the other but I could be wrong.

What compound or polish will you be using with them?

It really doesn't take much to clean up 3000 grit. You might even be able to cut it with a medium polish.

I've used Optimum Comp II with yellow LC flat pads on headlights and 2000 grit sanding marks almost instantly disappear. It's a little more work for me to remove 2000 grit off of a hard clear coat with the same combo.

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to easily compound out 3000 grit wet sanding marks with my PC-7424 using hydro-tech cyan pads and M101.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    I was able to easily compound out 3000 grit wet sanding marks with my PC-7424 using hydro-tech cyan pads and M101.
    ^^
    I did a test panel ending with 3000 grit and jumped to orange CCS and m105. Worked well too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I was thinking he was looking to buy one or the other but I could be wrong.

What compound or polish will you be using with them?

It really doesn't take much to clean up 3000 grit. You might even be able to cut it with a medium polish.

I've used Optimum Comp II with yellow LC flat pads on headlights and 2000 grit sanding marks almost instantly disappear. It's a little more work for me to remove 2000 grit off of a hard clear coat with the same combo.
    Sorry, I left out important details.

My 90' mustang was painted 10 months ago and never cut/buffed. Supposedly 3 coats of clear (some sort of PPG). I've done this before (years ago) so I'm not a total newbie. I know today's polishers/polishes are way better than they were 20+yrs ago. I purchased Menzerna 400 & 4000. I'm thinking that perhaps the microfiber pad may be better being that I'll be using a PC.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?

Quote Originally Posted by jvamagic View Post
    Sorry, I left out important details.

My 90' mustang was painted 10 months ago and never cut/buffed. Supposedly 3 coats of clear (some sort of PPG). I've done this before (years ago) so I'm not a total newbie. I know today's polishers/polishes are way better than they were 20+yrs ago. I purchased Menzerna 400 & 4000. I'm thinking that perhaps the microfiber pad may be better being that I'll be using a PC.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I wetsanded the rear fender (1.5k/2k (hand)/3k (disc) and used M400/M4000 (orange/black pad) w/ PC 7424xp. It took a couple of passes with the compound to remove all/most of the sanding marks. I assume it would be easier if I used Surbuf pade ( Your Car Wax SuperStore - We Are Car Care, Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?-wetsanding-ii-jpg   Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?-wetsanding-v-jpg   Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?-wetsanding-vi-jpg   Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?-wetsanding-vii-jpg   Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?-wetsanding-viii-jpg   Which pad for removing wetsanding marks?-wetsanding-ix-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Fibers are a type of abrasive

Fibers that make up a wool cutting pad for a rotary buffer or fibers that make up a microfiber cutting pad or fibers that make up a Surbuf pad.

Fibers are a type of abrasive.

Fibers work with your abrasives to provide more cutting ability. With a fiber pad you get the cutting action of the abrasives plus the cutting action of the fibers and the cutting action of both working together.

Plus fiber pads will tend to cut cooler than aggressive foam cutting pads.

Most important thing is to clean your pad often to remove the residues, that would be,

1. Removed paint
    2. Spent product

And also remove any residues off the panel just buffed.

Both choices will work, (foam or fiber pads) but fiber pads will always tend to work faster but potentially also leave some type of micro-marring if used on an orbital polisher or holograms when used on a rotary buffer. A second polishing step should easily remove any marring or holograms simply by switching to foam.

Also, the larger flat sections of a panel are always the easiest areas to remove sanding marks out of it's the areas next to raised body lines, corners or edges, or tight areas that will tend to require more time.

At my last 3-day class (now ACR, or Autogeek's Competition Ready 3-day Detailing Classes), we had a 1949 Cadillac with a modern basecoat/clearcoat finish.

You could easily see sanding marks next to the edges of various body panels left behind by the the other guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Fibers are a type of abrasive

Fibers that make up a wool cutting pad for a rotary buffer or fibers that make up a microfiber cutting pad or fibers that make up a Surbuf pad.

Fibers are a type of abrasive.

Fibers work with your abrasives to provide more cutting ability. With a fiber pad you get the cutting action of the abrasives plus the cutting action of the fibers and the cutting action of both working together.

Plus fiber pads will tend to cut cooler than aggressive foam cutting pads.

Most important thing is to clean your pad often to remove the residues, that would be,

1. Removed paint
    2. Spent product

And also remove any residues off the panel just buffed.

Both choices will work, (foam or fiber pads) but fiber pads will always tend to work faster but potentially also leave some type of micro-marring if used on an orbital polisher or holograms when used on a rotary buffer. A second polishing step should easily remove any marring or holograms simply by switching to foam.

Also, the larger flat sections of a panel are always the easiest areas to remove sanding marks out of it's the areas next to raised body lines, corners or edges, or tight areas that will tend to require more time.

At my last 3-day class (now ACR, or Autogeek's Competition Ready 3-day Detailing Classes), we had a 1949 Cadillac with a modern basecoat/clearcoat finish.

You could easily see sanding marks next to the edges of various body panels left behind by the the other guy.

If it's taking two passes or so w/ an orange pad to get rid of the sanding marks with Menz 400/pc 7424xp would a surbuf pad make quicker work, how about a yellow pad? Is there a difference between Flat Foam Pad orange pads and CCS orange pads?
    Last edited by jvamagic; 11-10-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jvamagic View Post
    Hi,

Is a Black_Optics_Microfiber_Orange_Cutting_Pad a better choice than a HEX-LOGIC MEDIUM-HEAVY CUTTING PAD, ORANGE for removing wetsanding marks (3000 grit) with my PC 7424xp?

Thanks in advance.
    Microfiber has worked best in my experience. If you take a look at my pic gallery you can see where I removed 1000 grit scratches with the PC7424xp, M105, and a blue Rupes microfiber cutting pad. That paint was very forgiving though. 2000, and 3000 grits were a breeze with Ultimate Compound, or M105 on the PC, and a Green Hex pad.

Other paints I've worked with were harder, and more resistant to repair. These paints responded more to the microfiber pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast