autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh paint

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Fresh paint

Hello. I have never posted on a forum before so here goes. I just got back my 2010 camaro after a seven month wait for a complete color change. Way longer then I thought it would take but it's home now. Now the problem. The paint looks good as far as colors I picked out,the break in the two tone,etc. but the finish work is terrible. I guess my question is do I have to wait to correct this until after it cures which is about 90 days or do I try and correct it while its still soft? Thanks in advance for the advice and I look forward to all the good advice I know I will get from the awesome people on this forum. Happy holidays to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh paint

to AGO!!

What does the painter, (and his cut&buff crew if any), have to say
    about your displeasure of the "finish work"?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Bob
    Good question.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Since I don't have experience with fresh paint, I'll let the people who do give the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

one piece of advice i can give you is defenitly dont wax it.
    the paint needs to cure. you can probably can use a polish but in my opinion be very careful
    especially on plastic bumpers. my opinion is because the paint is just never the same as factory paint and could flake off on bumpers if using a machine buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    to AGO!!

Bob
    If they left buffer trailers and swirls without doing any actual damage to the paint from a virgin cure, then you "should be OK" to do a correction.

Bump for more seasoned vets to advise!

And I'm not seeing any pictures of the car! Lol! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly about the finish work are you not pleased with? Is it dirt in the paint, excessive orange peel, really bad buffer marks, no gloss, all of the above?

Bob raises a great question. Have you expressed to the painter that you're displeased with their finish work? Did you pay them to do the finish work? Did they give you the option for them to go above and beyond with the finish work in the form of an elevated cost package or did they simply not discuss options with you?

I know it would be a real pain to wait even longer for them to address this issue but if they're capable and responsible to do so you should go in and discuss it with them.

I know this is the first time posting on a forum (and welcome to AGO by the way) but do you know how to post photos to a forum yet? Can you learn to do so? It would be irresponsible of any forum member to advise in a matter like this without knowing more and perhaps seeing a few photos of the displeasing paint condition.

My last thought would be where are you located? A lot of the qualified detailers here at AGO eat, sleep and breathe this kind of stuff. Maybe someone local to you might be willing to consult with you on what your options are upon seeing the car in person. There are a lot of helpful members here like that.

Happy New year!! I hope you get this sorted out to you benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

7 months and your unhappy? I'd take it back until it's to your liking.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn't expect that many posts so quick. It's not that I'm not happy with the paint. The painter did a great job. It's all the finish work. They finished it in 2000 paper. From there it was a cut and buff. Just not sure I want to bring it back there . It's winter in NW Indiana.lots of salt on the roads. I have the tools to do it. I don't mind doing it. Just not sure if I should do it yet. What products would you more expert detailers recommend for this job as far as pads,polishes,etc. I have a rupes polisher as well as a dewalt and a flex. Can't wait for the new rupes mini to come out. Never hurts to have a good reason to shop at autogeek ,right. Thanks again for all the advice.will post pic as soon as I figure it out. Not as savy with the tech as most of you are yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ss View Post
    Wow I didn't expect that many posts so quick. It's not that I'm not happy with the paint. The painter did a great job. It's all the finish work. They finished it in 2000 paper. From there it was a cut and buff. Just not sure I want to bring it back there . It's winter in NW Indiana.lots of salt on the roads. I have the tools to do it. I don't mind doing it. Just not sure if I should do it yet. What products would you more expert detailers recommend for this job as far as pads,polishes,etc. I have a rupes polisher as well as a dewalt and a flex. Can't wait for the new rupes mini to come out. Never hurts to have a good reason to shop at autogeek ,right. Thanks again for all the advice.will post pic as soon as I figure it out. Not as savy with the tech as most of you are yet.
    You do realize that once you "touch" the paint:
    the Shop, the painter, and the "cut&buff-er"...
    Are all now completely off the hook!!

Any displeasure with the "finish work" is yours...and only yours...from then on.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast