autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SHOWDOWN v2.0: Optimum Opti-Bond v. CarPro PERL

Hello everyone and to the 2nd version of a tire dressing SHOWDOWN!

For those that aren't familiar, the 1st SHOWDOWN for tire dressings can be found here.

I have used several tire dressings since the last SHOWDOWN and as you may recall PB BnB was the winner. This product has since been replaced as my "go-to" dressing by Optimum Opti-Bond (undiluted). I still use PB BnB when I'm doing a waterless or rinseless wash as it has pretty good cleaners in it and leaves behind a nice satin look.

For this test subject I decided to go with my wife's Mazda 3S. Just like the last thread, the tires were properly cleaned using TUF Shine tire cleaner.

Before I begin with the pictures let me introduce the contestants...

Standing on the right corner is Optimum Opti-Bond!

Waterbased Non-Petroleum formula

Super Durable Protection for rubber and vinyl

Always Shiny, never greasy

Will not attract dust

The ultra-safe formula contains no petroleum distillates or VOCs, which are known to crack vinyl and rubber. Opti-Bond Tire Gel’s safe, water-based formula delivers premium protection and an attractive shine to all rubber and vinyl.

Beyond great looks, Opti-Bond Tire Gel provides durable protection to rubber and vinyl. Advanced UV and ozone protectants shield tires and trim from sun damage and environmental pollution. Rubber and vinyl surfaces stay supple, flexible, and retain their color with regular use of Opti-Bond Tire Gel. The tire gel creates a shiny, but never greasy, finish on all rubber and vinyl surfaces. The finish is water-based, so it will not attract dust.
    Standing to the left corner is CarPro PERL!

PERL Coat is water-based silicon oxide, solvent-free, hydrophobic, and provides great satin shine and revives faded plastic, engine, rubber, and leather surfaces. While it can easily spray, it has great cling to keep it on the surface. It lasts up to 3 months.

PERL Coat has no chemical solvents, which can cause damage to tires. PERL Coat contains a high degree of UV protection to keep the surface from yellowing, cracking and fading as a result of sun damage. PERL Coat will stop leather from cracking and prevent dirt and stains from penetrating the surface. Treated surfaces require less cleaning and will remain in like-new condition. PERL Coat restores the original finish to vinyl, rubber, plastic, acrylic, and leather.

Plastic, engine, rubber, leather, and vinyl surfaces stay supple, flexible, and retain their color with regular use of PERL Coat.
    PERL Coat creates a satin shine. It is non greasy, non oily, and has a great smell.

PERL Coat's water-based formula provides great durability on all tires, interior and exterior trim, vinyl and dashboards.
    Both products were used undiluted and applied to a clean/dry tire with a foam applicator pad.

1) Tire clean, dry and taped off ready for some gel.

2) First coat applied from both products.

3) Moved the car forward to rotate the tires half way and then applied a 2nd coat of each product. 15 minutes has passed since I applied the 2nd coat.

4) Here is what the tire looks like after 30 minutes. Both sides were dry to the touch.

5) The next 2 pics are close ups of the non dressed tire to compare the two products.

6)

7) The last 2 pics are from different angles to get a different look at the finished results.

8)

Findings:

Opti-Bond - Product was very easy to apply to the tire. When you first apply it, it doesn't seem like it's leaving anything behind. The tire looks a dark greyish color at first. It's hard to explain and I'm not sure if it's just me noticing this. I made sure to apply an even coat. After about 30 seconds I start noticing the matte black tire and it looks great but too dull for me. It's amazing how quickly it dries to the tires after the first coat. I squeezed a line across on my applicator pad to dress the tire. I waited about 15 minutes and then applied the 2nd coat using the same amount. This left the tire with a nice satin look to it.

PERL - This product was also very easy to apply and noticed it was thinner than Opti-Bond. It gave the tire a nice satin look after only the first application. Huge bonus in my book. To be fair, I waited 15 minutes and then applied a 2nd coat. After all, we are going for durability here and it's only fair both products get the same treatment.

Conclusion:

Both products look amazing but it's just too early to say who is the winner after only a day. I really couldn't notice a distinct advantage of one over another.

I will be leaving to NYC for vacation this Saturday so I will not be able to update it like I want to. I will make sure to post pics upon my return. The car will be driven hard from here until Friday and then sit in a garage for about 10 days. Thanks for taking the time in reading this and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SHOWDOWN v2.0: Optimum Opti-Bond v. CarPro PERL

I did the same test not too long ago and would like to post my thoughts for comparison. I only did 1 coat of each because I like the matte shine look.

-After a day or 2 of light driving, Opti bond definitely allowed small debris and dirt to stick to it where Perl was clean and smooth.
    -They both lasted about a week.
    -It also seemed to me that I needed a little more opti bond to coat the tire than Perl. Perl spread better since its more liquidy.

I really like Perl > OBond overall because how much more versatile it is.Perl 1:1 is awesome on exterior trim, sometimes 2 coats are needed but i've gotten about 2-3 weeks on my In-Laws Mini. Perl 1:5 is awesome on interiors. Going on 1 week strong on my acura vinyl & leather. I also used it on all my rubber door seals. On tires, I like Obond better, Perl goes too matte too soon for my taste. The debris stuck to Obond was very miniscule to make an issue out of it and cleaned off easy with APC.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to get some PERL but from a few other threads apparently the shelf life is only 1 year, which seems quite short

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!

I'm keen to see how the products hold up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zerix View Post
    I want to get some PERL but from a few other threads apparently the shelf life is only 1 year, which seems quite short
    Wait what??

Detailing- my stress reliever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
    Wait what??
    I bought a liter and dilute it 3:1 I can defiantly see me having 1/4-1/2 of the big bottle left after a year. I'm sparing on product, especially tire shine since I do like a matte, new, look. Had I known about the shelf like I would have gotten the smaller option.

Just a heads up, this stuff might be a Super VRT killer to anyone who uses it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    I bought a liter and dilute it 3:1 I can defiantly see me having 1/4-1/2 of the big bottle left after a year. I'm sparing on product, especially tire shine since I do like a matte, new, look. Had I known about the shelf like I would have gotten the smaller option.

Just a heads up, this stuff might be a Super VRT killer to anyone who uses it.
    So it's a fact for sure? Has anyone contacted carpro about it?

Detailing- my stress reliever

Post Thanks / Like

Google shows conflicting reports. I think it's similar to the expiration date on canned goods. Or anything else (too tired to think) that has a "safe" shelf life and usually last a lot longer. I also imagine it has a lot to do with how it's stored too. All my stuff gets to stay in the spare room so it last a while. I still have polish I bought in early 2011 that looks and works fine. Had to break out some harsh stuff I never use other day and it worked like a champ.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both on my tires. I like both. I prefer opti bond but find perl lasted longer. Now I mostly use perl at 1:5 on interiors. Opti bond for tires and trims. Great comparo review by OP!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! I enjoyed the comparison and actually did this myself a few months back. I found that I preferred CarPro PERL over Opti-Bond - but that's just my personal preference. I think you'll find that PERL will last longer, too.

Looking forward to the updates! Happy detailing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast