autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some questions by newb

Hello Mike and the rest at ag. Id first like to introduce myself as I am new to Ag, my name is Rich. I own a 2010 mitsu lancer gts, color wicked white. I just recently purchased the starter porter cable package and am quite happy with it. Ag and mike have been a huge resource for me, thanks. While I have trolled the forum and have gotten answers to some question I have some more. I see people describing their paint as hard or soft. How is this determined and which is mine? Does the outside temperate play a roll in detailing a car, or I should say how much does it. Is it necessary to use the pc or and machine to apply a synthetic sealant? I am using the meguiars 21 and I have run up some questions surrounding this procedure. Let me set the story. Ive been using the sealant and the white ccs pad that came with the kit. Ive been doing this outside after work and its has bee quite cold here in nj at night. I have seen that the sealant has not really stuck to the paint and was wondering why. Is it the pad(ive come to see that some do not care for the ccs pads), the outside temp, or maybe my technique? What I wound up doing is using just a regular applicator pad and seem to have gotten better results. Please help with any advice you can. Thanks again for being such a good resource of information. Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some questions by newb

Hi Suburbanlad im completely new to this my self matter of fact this will be my first post i have no imformation to help you with but a do a 2009 lancer VRX im in australia VRX equals your GTS i have just done my first machine polish on my baby (She's Black) i think our paint would be considered hard as had a lot of swirls adn light scretchs on here of thought id have a crack at removing them prosess as follewed washed and clayed 3hours.. on the Machine Polish i used a lake country white 6.5 ccs buffing pad on my DA at speed setting 5 with firm pressure with Mequiars Ultimate Polish this took me 6 hours by the end of it i took here back out into the sun and found that while there was an improvement there still was a lot of swirls and light scrathes in her (i went with least aggresive theory first) just on this fact i do belive the paint is hard.. now with the wax it took me a little under an hour i used lake country blue 6.5 ccs pad on a speed setting of 3 with light pressure and used meguiars next tech wax liquid did the intire car the but her back in the sun and left for 20 mins before wipe of. its been a week now and water still beeds of really nice hope some of this info helps

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome both of you to AGO.

And, yes, temp does play a role. A fair amount.

No, you don't have to use a machine to apply a sealant but it does make it easier to get a nice, even, thin coat. Your white pad is probably removing the sealant. Use a no-cut pad (black, blue, red or gold).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by suburbanlab View Post

I see people describing their paint as hard or soft. How is this determined and which is mine?
    The best way to determine if a paint system is hard or soft is from experience from buffing on a wide range of paint systems, (paint systems in this case means a wide range of cars as all cars have different paint systems, and experience.

Does the outside temperate play a roll in detailing a car, or I should say how much does it.
    Yes. Working in temperature extremes, that is too hot or too cold will interfere with whatever product and/or process you're trying to perform.

Is it necessary to use the pc or and machine to apply a synthetic sealant?
    No, personal preference. I personally try to machine apply all paint care products and remove the human hand from the entire process as much as possible.

I am using the meguiars 21

I have seen that the sealant has not really stuck to the paint and was wondering why.
    What was you're prep work before applying the M21?

Could just have been too cold...

Welcome to the AGO forum!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kakarot42 View Post

i used a lake country white 6.5 ccs buffing pad on my DA at speed setting 5 with firm pressure with Mequiars Ultimate Polish this took me 6 hours by the end of it i took here back out into the sun and found that while there was an improvement there still was a lot of swirls and light scrathes in her (i went with least aggresive theory first)
    Following the least aggressive theory approach to polishing your car's paint is a great "Best Practice" but the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is a very non-aggressive product and that's why there are still a lot of swirls left in the paint.

A better approach would be to do a Test Spot or to and dial in a system that removes the swirls and leaves the paint looking stunning to a small area and once you dial-in and prove your system then duplicate that process over the rest of the car.

I cover all of this in my book...

E-book
    (Displayed on iPad - iPad not included)

Paperback

And welcome to Autogeek Online!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome you to to AGO!!

when you where consistently applying Megs Ult Polish and not getting the results you wanted, it might have been more of a time saver if you switched to something with more cut in it, Megs Ult Compound for example.

The first time I used my PC7424 I only polished, didn't use a compound, and after I was done there where still a HUGE amount of swirls left. Switched to a compound and bam there gone.

Happy detailing you two!!
    Who said you had to be a guy to like detailing?
    Eva

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. Two newbs from two different continents - what are the odds? You are both in the right place. Happy detailing...
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lokichaos View Post
    Welcome you to to AGO!!

when you where consistently applying Megs Ult Polish and not getting the results you wanted, it might have been more of a time saver if you switched to something with more cut in it, Megs Ult Compound for example.

The first time I used my PC7424 I only polished, didn't use a compound, and after I was done there where still a HUGE amount of swirls left. Switched to a compound and bam there gone.

Happy detailing you two!!
    SwirlX! I haven't applied this by machine yet, but it's a bit less aggressive than UC, so it still might not work. Getting them both couldn't hurt as I had a bird stain that didn't come out with SwirlX, but did with the UC.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for pinching your post suburbanlad.. and thanks for the reply and pointers very 1.. i do just have 1 more question with the polishing in my case were i used ultimate polish with lake country white ccs pad and did not get the correction i was looking for.. would it be best to switch to ulimate combound or M105 and still use a lake country white ccs pad?? or stay using ultimate polish and move up to the lake country orange ccs pad this is the only thing that is stumping me with the lest aggressive theory

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no prob kakarot. thats what this forum is here for. to spread good information. im glad i could help. Thanks for all of everyones feedback and welcomes. i think i got my answers.