autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter Wheel Painting

For some reason the gods of snow are withholding white wintery bliss that Subaru owners dream about, and instead has brought us temperatures in the 50's just a few days before the new year. Rather than get upset at the weather I took advantage of it to get in some work that normally would be put on hold until spring.

Since the temperatures have gotten below freezing, I have had to retire my extreme performance summer tires and throw on the Blizzak snow tires. Unfortunately there has been no snow to play in yet

The rims I have my Blizzaks mounted on are the OEM tires that have been demoted to winter tires, so I dont feel bad if I get a bit of curb rash should I push a scoobie drift a bit too far :whistle: The rims have some cosmetic damage, but more importantly after having my black rims on all summer I really like the black on black look much better than the silver on black, so it was time to cue the music and get to work (A-team theme)

First order of business was to remove the wheels and clean them up. There was a lot of old wheel weight adhesive to tackle and as you may have already seen the wheels were very contaminated with iron. Clean up was done with goo-gone and a plastic razor blade to remove adhesive, then Iron-X to decontaminate, followed up by a claying and one last pass with goo-gone to prep the surface for painting.

The pictures of the car before:

Old wheel weight goop:

Now to let Iron-X Do it's thing:

After a long and drawn out (and bloody) battle, things were looking much better:

Clean wheel compared to dirty one:

Now for the painting

I chose Plasti-Dip spray for this job after using it on my front grill and getting some really great results. I found it in the hardware store with the spray paint and promptly bough out the stores stock :evil:

Ready for prime time!

The actual painting process I didn't get a lot of pictures of because I didn't want my camera around to get overspray on it. First thing I did was put on my chemical respirator and I was very glad that I did. Plasti-Dip is really cool stuff, however, it has some really nasty chemicals in it. I didn't notice at the time, when when I was finished and took off the respirator to walk back inside the chemicals about knocked me out. I ended up having to leave my jacket I had been wearing in the garage overnight to air out and not stink up the house.

The painting process went well, but it took a lot of coats to cover up the OEM silver and get the look I was wanting. I found a good application method that worked well for me by applying a heavy first coat (wet) and then letting it dry before layering light coats about 10 minutes apart. I found when painting my grill that you can control the texture a bit by how far away you spray from; since I was wanting a fairly smooth finish I was spraying from about 10'' away. I painted the back side first, then sprayed the fronts.

In all I used up just about 4 cans of Plasti-Dip. I am very happy with the results, and I think for an afternoon's worth of effort it came our really well. The wheels won't hold up to a microscope, but I doubt that anyone would realize this was a rattle can job unless they were really scrutinizing the wheels for some reason.

A few shots of the wheels while curing (they are propped up with the spray paint caps so the bottoms don't touch the plastic I have under them).

I used the halogens to help gently speed up the drying process:

You can see (below) that I have taped off the back portion that comes into contact with the discs so that it will still have good metal on metal contact where it mounts.

Finished Shots (before & after)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Close up:

You can see the light texture

In the daylight I am really happy with how they look, and I think it is a huge improvement from where I started. I will report back on the durability of the Plasti-Dip spray, however, this stuff is really fantastic. I think I will use it in the near future to do some underbody coating and wheel well dressing. It is very versatile stuff.

Lessons learned - I have a few thin spots that look a bit pewter in direct sun that were in difficult to spray areas, but that is splitting hairs. It also takes a lot of Plasti-Dip to get a good thick coat on. Each wheel has 6-7 coats on it, and I used almost 1 can per wheel.

Now its time to go drive around and show off my new look :gidiup:

Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Wheel Painting

Looking good. Did you ruff-up the rims with sandpaper before painting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Looking good. Did you ruff-up the rims with sandpaper before painting?
    No, I left the surface as is, and just made sure it was surgically clean. I have not had any adhesion problems with my front grill (used the same process), and this gives me the option to peel it off if I want to remove it in the future.
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    No, I left the surface as is, and just made sure it was surgically clean. I have not had any adhesion problems with my front grill (used the same process), and this gives me the option to peel it off if I want to remove it in the future.
    Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking forward to this writeup Bill! As always there was no let down Looks great and curious to see the long term durability. I like the idea of using it on the underbody!! I think a full CDC bodysuit may be in order when trapped under the car with it! I may have to find some places I could use this stuff!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I was looking forward to this writeup Bill! As always there was no let down Looks great and curious to see the long term durability. I like the idea of using it on the underbody!! I think a full CDC bodysuit may be in order when trapped under the car with it! I may have to find some places I could use this stuff!
    Thanks Corey, it is a bit of a departure from the typical thread, and I am curious as to how it will be received. I had a lot of fun trying my hand at doing some painting and instead of just cleaning something up, and instead creating something entirely new.

Regardless, I had a great day working on the project and it kept me occupied for most of the day. I also am really happy with the new look.

Now I need to work on painting my rotors like you did on Sky (that was a fantastic writeup BTW), though with as much auto-crossing as I am doing, I may just end up replacing them soon.
    Last edited by LegacyGT; 01-01-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    -Bill

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool write-up Bill, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

They came out looking SWEET!!! I've heard the name Plasti Dip before but never knew what it was. Rims look pretty sweet. You should tint the windows
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up Bill.
    Im curious as to the "peel it off part" as Ive never used spray plastidip, I have used it to dip tools. So this isnt permanent? If it gets a rock chip or scrape will it then peel off?
    Im interesting on using it as an undercoating on my frame, maybe just flat rustolem will be better for that purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0pbT9lVFag]Conan O'Brien: "Looks Good!" - YouTube[/video]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast