autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Used the ONR for the first time

I used the ONR and Shmitt today for the first time for both. I have to say it was a bit awkward and will take some getting used to. The Shmitt is rather bulky IMO. It worked fine, but it just doesn't get into a few of the nooks on my car as well as a sheepskin does. Like I couldn't get it under the ends of my spoiler. I actually did an initial test on the hood with the sheepskin, Shmitt, and a microfiber. I really didn't see any big difference between any of them in terms of function.

As far as the ONR, that will take some getting used to as well. I think part of the problem was the cars were so dirty with road salt. I had a few spots where the water dripped out, like the mirrors, and left nasty water spots. I did our truck next, and I think I was more in a hurry to get done, and it turned out pretty bad because I wasn't drying it so well, so that is something to pay attention to. I really can't comment on marring because my car wasn't perfect in that regard, and I think the Michigan winter really took it's toll in adding swirls before I even touched it. I really like having all the suds of a regular car wash, but I've got a gallon of this stuff, so I'll have to keep trying. I really think it will work fine in the spring/summer/fall months, but I really got it more for the winter months. I guess maybe I'll try spraying it at a coin op first the next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel the same way with the Shmitt as far as being a bit bulky (as is the wheel shmitt). I will give it more use but I don't think I will give up my sheep skin just yet. ONR is great to use during the summer is it's really hot and winter when it freezing. You need to do a panel at a time not try and do a whole side then try and dry it off. Wash a fender dry a fender. It takes some trys to get a new product working as intended. Grimm you may want to try and mix a ONR and H2O in a spray bottle to pretreat panels with salt on them (16oz bottle try 3oz ONR 13oz h2o mix).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wytstang
    I feel the same way with the Shmitt as far as being a bit bulky (as is the wheel shmitt). I will give it more use but I don't think I will give up my sheep skin just yet. ONR is great to use during the summer is it's really hot and winter when it freezing. You need to do a panel at a time not try and do a whole side then try and dry it off. Wash a fender dry a fender. It takes some trys to get a new product working as intended. Grimm you may want to try and mix a ONR and H2O in a spray bottle to pretreat panels with salt on them (16oz bottle try 3oz ONR 13oz h2o mix).
    I've been using ONR for about 2 months now (approx 6 washes) and I think its great for the winter. I won't give up my foam gun but in the winter cold, ONR does the job. I TOTALLY agree with the spay bottle suggestion. It's a great pre-treat. I use it no all the time regardless of how dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did put some in a spray bottle to presoak. Next time I think I'll try the weed sprayer as my trigger finger was getting sore. I also made sure to do a small area like the top half of a door, etc. I really think maybe the problem might be the temperature. It was nice, up into the 30's last week, but dropped back down into the 20's with wind yesterday, so I think it was harder to get it dried well. The car turned out fine, just had some spots like below the mirrors that had water leak out when I moved it, and dried with terrible white water spots. I didn't think about it, so I didn't see them until I moved it back in the garage after washing the truck. The truck just turned out bad because I was wanting to finish up, and just went to fast not drying it adequately. But I knew we were getting hit with more snow today, so I wasn't worried about getting them perfect either.

One other thing I didn't care for was seeing my MF's get so dirty. But I washed them all later, presoaking in a solution of Spray N Wash, and was pleasantly surprised to see how clean they came out, including my white WW from Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like
    im not sure if i could trust ONR on my own car, i just cant imagine not rinsing off my car. Does the car end up looking the same as if you washed it normally?

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't see anything different from when I washed with regular soap. But I still had some swirls that I hadn't gotten out last fall as well as whatever our Michigan winter has added, so I'll be waiting until I polish it again in a few weeks before I comment on whether the ONR adds any swirls. As I said, it just seemed weird and will take some getting used to.