autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Newbie Question

I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can answer. I just purchased a 2011 Dodge Ram (cherry red) and wanted to get a good start on the detailing process. I've been using Wolfgang products on my Harley's for a few years now and have had good results.

This is my planned process for the truck.
    1. Auto Bathe
    2. Paintwork Polish Enhancer (to remove any wax that the dealer may have put on or deformities from the manufacturer)
    3. Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    4. Wolfgang Fuzion
    5. Deep Gloss Spritz

Now for my questions.

Does this sound like a good start and as the truck wont fit into my garage, do you think it will be okay to leave it out side for the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to cure? It will get the 12 hours as recommended by the time night falls, but it will get dew over night. should I wash again before I put on the fusion or will it be okay to go right to wax?

I know allot of you experienced fellows are laughing right now, but I just don't have room in the garage with 2 bikes in it and my wife won't let me put hers outside over night.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserWilhelm63 View Post
    I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can answer. I just purchased a 2011 Dodge Ram (cherry red) and wanted to get a good start on the detailing process. I've been using Wolfgang products on my Harley's for a few years now and have had good results.

Find a product you like and use it often is my therory

This is my planned process for the truck.
    1. Auto Bathe
    1a) Clay Bar...Mothers has a nice kit you can find OTC
    2. Paintwork Polish Enhancer (to remove any wax that the dealer may have put on or deformities from the manufacturer)
    3. Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    4. Wolfgang Fuzion
    5. Deep Gloss Spritz

Now for my questions.

Does this sound like a good start and as the truck wont fit into my garage, do you think it will be okay to leave it out side for the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to cure?

I personally wouldn't leave it outside to cure. Right now we have a ton of pollen falling

It will get the 12 hours as recommended by the time night falls, but it will get dew over night. should I wash again before I put on the fusion or will it be okay to go right to wax?

I would do a quick wash

I know allot of you experienced fellows are laughing right now, but I just don't have room in the garage with 2 bikes in it and my wife won't let me put hers outside over night.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your suggestions.
    I'm not laughing. Your questions are valid.

Happy polishing
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flash
    Thanks for the Clay Bar suggestion. Instinct though, tells me not to leave the truck outside for the cure, but I just don't have much of a choice until I hit the Power Ball. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with flash. Mothers is my favorite OTC clay; it's easy to use, easy to mold, and comes with everything you need to clay it.

I might also suggest washing after you clay it before you apply the enhancer that way you don't have micro-abrasives (aka: Pollen!) or dirt rubbed into your paint, possibly causing swirls.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Get that clay bar!

I, as a fellow newbie, have just learned the virtues of a clay bar. Had a new white honda. Washed and waxed regularly. I kept getting little rust colored spots all over the hood and roof - couldn't figure it out till I came here.

It was a brand new car, all it needed what a good wash, right? WRONG. It was rail dust in the clear coat. A clay bar would have help it big time. I don't own this car anymore, but I sure wish I knew about clay bars then. Not every manufacture covers and protects cars for transport from the factory - then there's the filthy dealer lots often in industrial areas.

New car, old car - get the clay bar and lube!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help guys but I'm hoping to get some opinions on the wax application the next day. I know it's not ideal to leave it out all night but I don't have much of a choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserWilhelm63 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys but I'm hoping to get some opinions on the wax application the next day. I know it's not ideal to leave it out all night but I don't have much of a choice.
    You could do it and take your chances, but my concern would be of any dust or pollen that lands on your finish. Then when you go to wipe off, your going to end up with Swirl City. Do you understand what I'm saying?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it Flash. Thanks. Looks like I have to come up with another plan.