autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about Tax Deductions for detailing?

Question about Tax Deductions for detailing?

I'm trying to start a business like many on here have done before me. I am looking at a pickup truck, as well as all my equipment to get started.

I am dancing between a Sole proprietorship and an LLC.

I read a lot about starting a business online. I get a wealth of knowledge about the how to's of detailing, advertisement and marketing. Unfortunately it only touches on tax deductions.

I know that I can deduct ANYTHING I use for my business. My question is how is it decided how much is deducted from what I spent?

I've been told that its 100% reimbursed, however I am not sure that is true.

I can sure use advice from any existing business owners.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Tax Deductions for detailing.

Im not exactly sure, but I decided on the Sole Proprietorship or DBA.
    Since i really dont plan on hiring employees.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonys88 View Post
    Im not exactly sure, but I decided on the Sole Proprietorship or DBA.
    Since i really dont plan on hiring employees.

I did a DBA as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiloleG View Post
    I'm trying to start a business like many on here have done before me. I am looking at a pickup truck, as well as all my equipment to get started.

I am dancing between a Sole proprietorship and an LLC.

I read a lot about starting a business online. I get a wealth of knowledge about the how to's of detailing, advertisement and marketing. Unfortunately it only touches on tax deductions.

I know that I can deduct ANYTHING I use for my business. My question is how is it decided how much is deducted from what I spent?

I've been told that its 100% reimbursed, however I am not sure that is true.

I can sure use advice from any existing business owners.
    It's not realy tax deductable as such. To break it down in the easiest way I can for you, basically you have income and expenses. At the end of the day ( year) you have "x" amount of expenses and "y" as income. Hopefully your "y" is bigger than your "x".
    Anything you purchase or spend on products is an expense against your income. All of your start-up equipment can be deducted as an expense. But you might have to speak to an accountant some of the larger purchases might have to be depreciated instead of straight out expensed.
    Sorry, I bet that was confusing as hell, I hoped it helped a little at least

Post Thanks / Like

i believe that its 100% of what you spend not exaclty reimbursed but taken off the taxes your business would pay on your anual income. im prolly wrong but thats what i have been told.
    Jesus

Post Thanks / Like

DBA too.
    The Gleam Master Detailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    It's not realy tax deductable as such. To break it down in the easiest way I can for you, basically you have income and expenses. At the end of the day ( year) you have "x" amount of expenses and "y" as income. Hopefully your "y" is bigger than your "x".
    Anything you purchase or spend on products is an expense against your income. All of your start-up equipment can be deducted as an expense. But you might have to speak to an accountant some of the larger purchases might have to be depreciated instead of straight out expensed.
    Sorry, I bet that was confusing as hell, I hoped it helped a little at least
    so if I were to spend x amount what percentage of x do i get for tax deduction when tax time comes around?

Post Thanks / Like

so if I were to spend x amount what percentage of x do i get for tax deduction when tax time comes around?
    100% if the expenses were for business purposes

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless to what you read in this thread, hire a CPA. Trying to do business taxes on your own can lead to some real problems.

As far as what expenses you can deduct will depend on what they are for. In many cases you can write off expenses dollar for dollar, ie your supplies expense for LSP's polishes, towels, etc., any mileage you incur if you are a mobile detailer, wages should you ever hire employees, and other day to day expenses.

Writing off equipment like polishers, steamers, extractors and other high dollar items may be a little more difficult since they may need to be depreciated over 5 (or is it 7?) years. However the tax code may let you Section 179 depreciation which allows to recognize all of the depreciation expense in the year of purchase. Check with a CPA for the rules of Sec 179 depreciation, I don't recall all of them at the moment.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LLC, keep records, records, records the mile rate is like 55 cents so get a book

& record every mile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast