autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Charcoal trim faded

I see a lot of post on black trim but not much if anything at all on the charcoal color trim. Mine is very faded and all the trim stuff i have tried really has not done the job, would any of the dye's work well or if anybody has used something on charcoal trim please post up.I have seen a few dye kits for different color trim anybody try them at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charcoal trim faded

Is it like a darkish grey? I have similar trim on my truck, the rear bumper (the side moldings and front bumper are painted/clear to match like monotone, rear bumper is the same color but just normal bumper material). I've tried PB Trim Restorer and some others but nothing really worked well, and the dye kits wouldn't either only b/c their mainly for black and I've heard to many stories of people using it on other color moldings and ending up off color or stained.

GM has a product called Gator Back that was brought out for all the complaints on the previous trucks (Avalanche) with side moldings and trim fading. This stuff is the best when it comes to greyish trim. I don't mean to take away from AG its just this is the only product I've seen work and last long on greyish trim.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't tried a charcoal dye, but have used "Forever Black" (black trim dye product). It's a lot of work but turns out well.
    What trim products have you tried? I've tried most of the best and I'm getting frustrated with no longevity; streaks; wipe on- cold water -buff off - top with another product. I've been experimenting and I'm about to settle on an areosol spray. Cuts time way down. Looks good between washes. Downside is it is way more expensive since you go through a can quickly.
    I just did my wife's trim at the base of her windshield under the wipers. It had faded to grey. Sprayed on in ten seconds. It turned completely black, and was a better job than I could do by hand.
    I've used this one Stoner Trim Shine: Instant shine spray to enhance rubber and plastic trim! and another. Both good.
    Last edited by Jimmie; 03-20-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: post link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mystic04 View Post
    I see a lot of post on black trim but not much if anything at all on the charcoal color trim. Mine is very faded and all the trim stuff i have tried really has not done the job, would any of the dye's work well or if anybody has used something on charcoal trim please post up.I have seen a few dye kits for different color trim anybody try them at all.
    I have the same stuff on my Xterra. I've tried a few different products but if you have some lying around, I would say wipe it with some AA tire foam. I'm still looking for a better solution, but that seems to work pretty well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I have the same stuff on my Xterra. I've tried a few different products but if you have some lying around, I would say wipe it with some AA tire foam. I'm still looking for a better solution, but that seems to work pretty well for me.
    Thats what I used, I've tried close to a dozen high end trim products and nothing worked well on any trim on our Ford trucks. Only AA Extreme Gel worked and was easy to use.

But luckily GM has that Gator Back product, not cheap, but looks like new and is basically permanent. It's made really for the GM trucks like the Avalanche which had some kind of defect in the moldings causing them to fade fast, GM would even do Gator Back treatment under warranty for this, but you can buy the stuff separately as they have a consumer version. Works excellent on greyish type trim.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Black WOW, Meguiars ASD or FK 108?

Post Thanks / Like

While Gatorback was initially for commercial/dealer application, they now have it available in spray can and applicator consumer versions--another
    new product for AG??