autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: New Falkens and heavy snow

We had our first real snowfall two days ago, about 4" which means that the streets were snow covered (packed) and slushy in some areas from the salt. It was still coming down heavy and traffic was terrible, it took me over two hours to make a 45 minute drive home. Speeds averaged 20 mph with the occasional 30 mph sprint.

My new Falken ZE950's drove like champs and having a manual, I was able to keep the engine between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms. The results? My [back]-end only skipped out once in 40 miles, maybe three inches, less than it would with a power shift into 2nd gear. Even changing lanes was no issue.

Then yesterday on the way to work, I had to drive through my unplowed street (4") and then after stopping at the main road, make an uphill, right turn onto the unplowed main road. The traction control light was flashing like crazy, but I still was able to make it up the hill without any drama - no fish tailing, nothing. The highway was covered in slush and packed snow in between the tire grooves and I was still able to do 40 mph (held up by traffic) with absolutely no issues.

I know that straight winter tires are supposed to be the bomb, but I was really impressed with the Falkens and happy with my choice.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UPDATE: New Falkens and heavy snow

Good to hear Don! This will be the first time in decades I've used all season tires on my daily driver but it should be good considering it has AWD. Monday mine get installed replacing the horrible Run Flat Tires is has on it now.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your winter driving skills are better than 99% of the people around you. RWD takes thinking and preparation, especially in the snow. I accelerate too aggressive. It would take me awhile to acclimate to RWD in the snow.

Post Thanks / Like

NE Ohio was fun this week, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Sounds like your winter driving skills are better than 99% of the people around you. RWD takes thinking and preparation, especially in the snow. I accelerate too aggressive. It would take me awhile to acclimate to RWD in the snow.
    I actually found RWD easier to drive bad weather than FWD. Some people think I'm insane.

Many years ago I purchased a manual BMW in the winter and it was delivered with summer tires. The Monday after I picked it up, the city where I lived was covered in ice when I drove to work. I found the balance of the car and the fact the front wheels only had to steer the car and not steer the car AND propel the vehicle made it much easier to control. I was shocked at the difference in poor weather driveability between it and the FWD car I dumped at the dealership a few days before. I proceeded to drive that car in bad weather for another 7 years on summer or all season tires (I didn't know better) and still think it was the best foul weather car I've owned.

Back to the topic: Glad your Falkens are working out for you. I'll be curious to hear how they hold up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I actually found RWD easier to drive bad weather than FWD. Some people think I'm insane.

Many years ago I purchased a manual BMW in the winter and it was delivered with summer tires. The Monday after I picked it up, the city where I lived was covered in ice when I drove to work. I found the balance of the car and the fact the front wheels only had to steer the car and not steer the car AND propel the vehicle made it much easier to control. I was shocked at the difference in poor weather driveability between it and the FWD car I dumped at the dealership a few days before. I proceeded to drive that car in bad weather for another 7 years on summer or all season tires (I didn't know better) and still think it was the best foul weather car I've owned.

Back to the topic: Glad your Falkens are working out for you. I'll be curious to hear how they hold up.
    Those that felt you were insane don't know how to drive. Oversteer is way more recoverable than understeer. On a FWD Vehicle if it plows forward into a slid the only thing you can do is come off the gas and most certainly the brake. In a RWD car if it over steers you can not only steer into the slide but apply gas to help control/regain control.

FWD makes it easier from a start due to weight over the axel and people feel more in control when the car is pulling itself but so long as it's rolling forward it's under control even if it's being pushed. The challenge for them becomes when it's out of control.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Those that felt you were insane don't know how to drive. Oversteer is way more recoverable than understeer. On a FWD Vehicle if it plows forward into a slid the only thing you can do is come off the gas and most certainly the brake. In a RWD car if it over steers you can not only steer into the slide but apply gas to help control/regain control.

FWD makes it easier from a start due to weight over the axel and people feel more in control when the car is pulling itself but so long as it's rolling forward it's under control even if it's being pushed. The challenge for them becomes when it's out of control.

Having started driving with RWD and driving light-in-the-@zz Crown Victorias for over 25 years has taught me a few things (so did screwing around in empty parking lots ) FWD is OK for pulling you out of a MILD over steer situation, but it's also easy to lose control with torque AND turning being applied to the same tires, add torque-steer to that and it's a recipe for disaster. Your front end goes off your intended direction of travel and the rest of the car follows.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    NE Ohio was fun this week, eh?
    Absolutely, other than having to leave 2 hours early for work, but watching all the other FWD, AWD and 4x4 drivers getting careless, sliding A LITTLE BIT, then freaking out.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    The torque curve of my engine (combined with the 6 manual) makes it easy. I don't hit my torque peak until 4,500 RPM (7,000 RPM redline) so by keeping the revs between 1,000 and 2,000 gives me enough torque to go, but not enough to spin - the posi rear end and traction control help too.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

This winter is the first since 2000 that I haven't had AWD with snow tires. I still have the snow tires, but switched to a RWD car (BMW). I've been out in the snow twice with it now, and I agree that RWD is much easier to manage than FWD in slippery conditions. My rear end would slide out just slightly when I'd accelerate in turns, but I could quickly and confidently correct without much effort. If it was a FWD car, I'd just end up understeering all the time with a lot less control over steering.

Coincidentally, I was just talking to a coworker about the huge value of snow tires (at least here in WI). I'd never give those up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast