autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First timer, SUPER pleased with results

Hey Y'all,

Intro and first time results. Might be a bit long. Bear with me.

James, from Houston, Texas. 62 year old retired fart.

Always been a "car guy", mechanical stuff (just replaced intake manifold) and constant cleaner.

Till now a hand wash, clay, wax type. But I am the neighbor who takes his wheels off twice a year to wax them....

Even took a couple of second place concurs with the local BMW club using these methods.

Thought it was about time to give the newer DA's a shot. Only other "power machine" I had used was an old 10" Waxmaster 900 random Orbital with bonnets. Never thought it did a very good job. Very nervous about something spinning 6000 rpm's on my paint.... yikes.

So I bought the DA polish/buffer at Harbor Freight. Did all the "mods", grease, repositioned switch. Decent for my situation.

Went with AutoGeek for supplies. Have really liked all of Girot's stuff, so that's the polishes I went with. Correcting, Perfecting & Finish.
    For pads, I used Lake Country CCS. Got the "pick your own 6". 2 Pink, 1 Orange, 1 White, 1 Black, 1 Red.

The car is a 2005 Mercedes SLK 350, Mars Red. 119,00 miles. I am second owner. Beautiful car. If you asked me before I started I would have said paint was a 8 with some swirls and a coule of scratches. After seeing it now, was probably a 6 in reality. NOW it might me a 8 to 8.5

This would not be a lucrative career for me. 5 hours today. Got trunk and hood done (had most swirls/scratches) Started VERY cautiously to say the least. I figure is better to go slow, take my time and learn what I am doing. This forum, Mikes videos etc were THE ONLY reason I even attempted this.

I am blown away by the results. I have NEVER had a vehicle with this kind of depth, clarity and no swirls....!!! Could a professional with thousands of cars "under their belt" done better, YES. That said, I am extremely happy (understatement) and proud that I got over my fear (didn't screw up my car) and with how it looks. I could have done more passes on each section (did 4), probably a little more pressure, maybe a Yellow pad.... I just felt the paint is in really great condition to start with. Think I did real good on the amount of product applied, and arm/speed movement. Did not use the Pink or Red pads. Also didn't use the Finishing/Sealant. After Perfecting cream, I used Black pad and applied Girot's "Best of Show" liquid wax.

Plan to get a smaller backplate and pads to do the doors. I can tell a 6" is going to be ineffective on some of the panels and body lines.

Not the greatest shots, but hope they show the improvement.

Thanks Auto Geek, Mike and all of the contributors sharing their insights.

First timer, SUPER pleased with results-supplies-post-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-trunk-before-w-text-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-trunk-after-w-text-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-hood-before-w-text-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-hood-afer-w-text-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First timer, SUPER pleased with results

It looks great. Welcome to the addiction lol Red is one of my favorite colors to work on. Glad the 6" pads worked out for you. Most use a 5" plate and pads on those machines.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave,

Yeah they're pretty honking BIG when you start on the car.... Didn't seem big before. LOL

Just ordered 3" BP and pads to do the doors and other panels.

Are you supposed to change the "weight thing" in the head when you go to that smaller of setup?

The other thing that makes this car so cool is that it's a 6 speed MANUAL.... only about 1000 of them, most were automatics.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work and welcome, James! Feels great to do that yourself, doesn't it.

5. Thanks Zypher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The six speed thing is pretty cool. Personally I have an artificial left knee and back problems so stuck with automatics. The eight speed auto is actually faster than the manual six in the Camaro SS's.

I wouldn't worry about changing the counter weight. You do want to watch the speed. That 3" pad is going to spin faster and a little lighter on the pressure.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

7. Thanks Zypher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!! Once you get that first outstanding paint correction result you are hooked.

9. Thanks Zypher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work and a beutieful car!

It's a good feeling when you are done and take a step back and take all the shine in.

Many likes to use a 5" backing plate on those machine. You get a little more cutting and less prone to stall. I got a 5" backing plate for my 21mm longthrow polisher after testing it on a scrap yard door first time I used it. Feeling more control with it and the other benefits plus 5.5" pads are a little cheaper so you have saved in on the backing plate rather soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zypher View Post
    Hey Y'all,

Always been a "car guy", mechanical stuff (just replaced intake manifold) and constant cleaner.

Till now a hand wash, clay, wax type. But I am the neighbor who takes his wheels off twice a year to wax them....

Even took a couple of second place concurs with the local BMW club using these methods.

Thought it was about time to give the newer DA's a shot. Only other "power machine" I had used was an old 10" Waxmaster 900 random Orbital with bonnets. Never thought it did a very good job. Very nervous about something spinning 6000 rpm's on my paint.... yikes.

So I bought the DA polish/buffer at Harbor Freight. Did all the "mods", grease, repositioned switch. Decent for my situation.

Went with AutoGeek for supplies. Have really liked all of Girot's stuff, so that's the polishes I went with. Correcting, Perfecting & Finish.
    For pads, I used Lake Country CCS. Got the "pick your own 6". 2 Pink, 1 Orange, 1 White, 1 Black, 1 Red.

The car is a 2005 Mercedes SLK 350, Mars Red. 119,00 miles. I am second owner. Beautiful car. If you asked me before I started I would have said paint was a 8 with some swirls and a coule of scratches. After seeing it now, was probably a 6 in reality. NOW it might me a 8 to 8.5

This would not be a lucrative career for me. 5 hours today. Got trunk and hood done (had most swirls/scratches) Started VERY cautiously to say the least. I figure is better to go slow, take my time and learn what I am doing. This forum, Mikes videos etc were THE ONLY reason I even attempted this.

I am blown away by the results. I have NEVER had a vehicle with this kind of depth, clarity and no swirls....!!! Could a professional with thousands of cars "under their belt" done better, YES. That said, I am extremely happy (understatement) and proud that I got over my fear (didn't screw up my car) and with how it looks. I could have done more passes on each section (did 4), probably a little more pressure, maybe a Yellow pad.... I just felt the paint is in really great condition to start with. Think I did real good on the amount of product applied, and arm/speed movement. Did not use the Pink or Red pads. Also didn't use the Finishing/Sealant. After Perfecting cream, I used Black pad and applied Girot's "Best of Show" liquid wax.

Plan to get a smaller backplate and pads to do the doors. I can tell a 6" is going to be ineffective on some of the panels and body lines.

First timer, SUPER pleased with results-supplies-post-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-trunk-before-w-text-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-trunk-after-w-text-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-hood-before-w-text-jpgFirst timer, SUPER pleased with results-hood-afer-w-text-jpg
    Nice job kid and you will only get better. The best thing I ever did when I bought my new car and got into detailing was not by 1 of those waxmaster tools and opting for the DA instead. This was when I didn't know what a DA was. I had them both in my hands and I'm so glad I picked the DA. Hope it works out for you like that too

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! You are off to an excellent start! I'm impressed that you've dived in and got er done!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

13. Thanks Zypher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zypher View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I would just like to add a couple tips on DA polishing that I wish I would have known right off the bat...

Get a pad conditioning brush they make a huge difference.

Yes you actually do get much better results when you keep your work area to roughly 2x2 ft at a time

1 pad per panel 1 1/2 panels at the most

Get the pad cleaner spray and spray the pad as soon as your done using it. At least let them all soak until your done. It saves your pads and keeps them new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast