autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issue with ech2o and reload as drying aid

I wouldn't use the combo on a wet vehicle. I do use it as a detail spray though. I spritz it on a damp drying towel, wipe and then buff with a dry one. If you want to use a pure drying aid on a wet car that you will be drying with a towel, I recommend Wolfgang Uber Rinseless mixed up 1ox to 3gals.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Thanks FrankS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JMak97008;1542953]Yeah, I've just started using my shop-vac to blow out the doors, handles, gas, seams between panels and the hood, roof, and trunk lid.

Dragging around a shop-vac doesn't sound very user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I wouldn't use the combo on a wet vehicle. I do use it as a detail spray though. I spritz it on a damp drying towel, wipe and then buff with a dry one. If you want to use a pure drying aid on a wet car that you will be drying with a towel, I recommend Wolfgang Uber Rinseless mixed up 1ox to 3gals.
    So I'm taking it that you are mixing uber 1oz to 3 gal in a spray bottle? Then I guess you spray some on each panel as you dry?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Dragging around a shop-vac doesn't sound very user friendly.
    Not the safest way to blow air either.. Would you want to blow air onto your paint at high velocity through your dirty shop vac hose? Me neither.

6. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyers278 View Post
    So I'm taking it that you are mixing uber 1oz to 3 gal in a spray bottle? Then I guess you spray some on each panel as you dry?
    Yes but honestly I've changed my technique on my personal vehicle when drying. I use a leaf blower to remove 99% of the water from all the seams and surfaces then I use a clean 16x16 480GSM Rag soaked in the Uber Solution at 1oz to 3gal ratio to dry. Key is to completely wring out the towel so that it is just damp. From there I simply spritz my ECH20 and Reload detail spray (when I choose to use it) on the surface of the rag and give it one last squeeze. I don't use but a few sprays. Wipe the panels off completely then give it a quick buff/pass with a dry Car Pro 16x16 Suede cloth. The same ones I use to remove my coatings. They are the only rag that I have found to be truely 100% lint free and on my pure black car, I'm OCD about things when I finally get them clean and dry Other colors won't show lint hardly at all thus I really only use them where needed.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reload will, or has been known to cause streaking in the past. I haven't heard of people having that issue recently, but I suppose it's possible. Shake the living daylights out of the product. When you're not spraying, you're agitating. I noticed this helped with Reloads application, especially when the new version launched in '14. This may help.

I use this exact drying method usually. I get most water with a big 1200gsm towel. Then, I mist the panels. Using my Griot's garage PFM towels I dry the car. There is some streaking sometimes, and I mediate this by just going over the whole car quickly with a dry, edgeless plush towel. Adds time to the process, but it's my car and the weekend anyways so whatever.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Lugging around a 16 gal shop-vac in my driveway isn't very hard at all. But I'm just a weekend warrior detailing my personal cars. Metro across looks cool and all, but I want to spend my money on multi-purpose equipment and products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Not the safest way to blow air either.. Would you want to blow air onto your paint at high velocity through your dirty shop vac hose? Me neither.
    Hadn't thought of it that way... Ironically, this past weekend I did look inside one of the attachment and it was dirty. Didn't think to inspect the hose.

Post Thanks / Like

A $20 leaf blower works just fine.

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

13. Thanks 07rs thanked for this post
    Likes ronkh57, DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find ECH2O very streaky, to the point that I've stopped using it. I have had better results with Reload when applying by spraying on the high pile side of an MF towel, applying it to the vehicle using the towel, then buffing off the with the pile side.

If you are looking for a drying aid that's hydrophobic and doesn't streak, I've found Chemical Guys After Wash to work well. If you're looking for a quick detailer that doesn't streak at all, I have found 3D HD Touch to be totally streak-free.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast