autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax cure time in cold

Hello, I am working on a customer car and have a question regarding wax cure time.

I applied Meguiars black wax to a Lexus over three hours ago and it’s still wet as it was when I applied it. I’m working in my garage and the paint is cool. However, the ambient temperature is around 40 F. I’m sure this is what’s causing my issue. Any idea when the wax will be completely dry? I was going to let it sit overnight and hopefully by morning it’s cured. I’m returning the car tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax cure time in cold

Im not sure on the black wax but I did meguiars ultimate paste wax 8 days ago on my silverado. Did it outside in cloud covered 32* weather. I waxed the truck and went back and buffed off. I don't expect it to last as long but it's working as if snowed 8 hrs later

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2007 View Post

Hello, I am working on a customer car and have a question regarding wax cure time.

I applied Meguiars black wax to a Lexus over three hours ago and it’s still wet as it was when I applied it.

I’m working in my garage and the paint is cool. However, the ambient temperature is around 40 F.

I’m sure this is what’s causing my issue.

Yep.... kind of cold....

Imagine throwing a bucket of water on a sidewalk on a hot sunny day and also on a cold winter day....

On which day will the water evaporate the fastest?

The hot sunny day of course. This is a super simple analogy but makes the point.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2007 View Post

Any idea when the wax will be completely dry? I was going to let it sit overnight and hopefully by morning it’s cured. I’m returning the car tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

Not sure where you at with this as it's been a week. You posted this the day I was flying back from Colorado after teaching my 2-day roadshow class.

Pictures - Colorado Roadshow Detailing Class with Mike Phillips

When working in cold temperatures, (and I've detailed like this), practice applying a super thin coat when using non-cleaning waxes and sealants as it will help them to dry faster.

Besides that, placing a fan in the room to create an air current can aid in drying via evaporation simply by having moving are in the garage.

Mike Phillips

Here's an article I wrote on the topic of temperature back in 2012 - might be some helpful info for you here...

What temperature ranges are best for applying compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants

When detailing your car, you will get better performance from your products, (compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants), in moderate temperatures and avoid working in extreme cold and extreme hot temperatures. Not only will your products perform better but so will you...

When we talk about surface temperatures, we need to consider four factors:
    • Surface Temperature
    • Ambient Temperature
    • Relative Humidity
    • Surface Temperature (Actual surface temperature of the vehicle)
    The best surface temperature range for applying compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants is in a range of 60 degrees to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. A simple test you can do is to feel the surface, it should not feel warm or hot to the touch.

Most premium quality car detailing products will work easily within a much broader temperature range, such as, 50 degrees to 90 degrees Fahrenheit but optimum results are when you're working in a range of 60 degrees to 80 degrees.

Ambient Temperature or Outside temperature
    Ambient temperature is the room temperature or the temperature of the surrounding environment. It's easily possible to have between 10 to 50 degrees difference in ambient temperature as compared to the surface temperature.

This difference in temperatures can make the difference between a product that's easy to work with, or difficult to work with. And of course, the hotter the ambient temperature, the faster liquid products are going to dry.

Humidity (Moisture in the air)
    Humidity is moisture in the air. Technically there is Relative Humidity and Absolute Humidity, but as it relates to these procedures or characteristics,
    • Applying
    • Working with by hand or machine buffing
    • Drying time, curing time, crosslinking
    • Wipe-off or removal of car care products.
    How humid it is or more specifically, how much moisture in the air there is, will dramatically affect how easy or how difficult a product will be to work with.

Low humidity in the warm to hot temperature range
    In warm to hot temperatures, low humidity will cause liquids to evaporate and dry more quickly. This can make a product difficult to work with and/or decrease the buffing cycle or working time of the product.

Low humidity in the low to cold temperature range
    Low humidity in low temperatures tends not to be a factor in buffing cycle or working time, nor drying times for waxes and sealants.
    (Low temperatures are a factor, but not low humidity in low temperatures).

High humidity in the warm to hot temperature range
    High humidity in high temperatures tends not to be a factor in working with buffing cycles and working time of compounds and polishes. High humidity in high temperatures will affect drying and curing times of different waxes and paint sealants.

High humidity in the low to cold temperature range
    Extremely cold temperatures can make products hard to work with because extreme cold temperatures can cause liquids like compounds and polishes to thicken and become less workable. High humidity in cold temperatures can also increase the amount of time necessary a wax or paint sealant to dry.

Generally speaking, extreme temperatures, both cold and hot will make any product and/or procedure more difficult than working in a temperature range from 60 to 80 degree.

Direct sunlight
    Direct sunlight will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures and make compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants extremely more difficult to apply, work and remove.

Note: While some products state they can be used in direct sunlight, direct sunlight is kind of a vague term. There's a difference between working in direct sunlight in winter in Oregon in the morning and working in direct sunlight in summer in Arizona at noon.

Besides that, any product that can be used in direct sunlight will still always be easier to use on a cool surface in the shade.

Air current/Wind
    Air current/air flow, or windy conditions will act to increase the evaporation speed and potentially making some products more difficult to apply, work, or remove. In some cases this can be a bonus, helping a wax to cure/dry more quickly.

Summary
    The best conditions for using compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants on automotive paints would be in a cool place, out of direct sunlight, in a surface temperature range between 60 degrees and 80 degrees Fahrenheit, with comfortable to low humidity and with a light breeze to create the perfect conditions for detailing your car's finish.

Common sense and a good rule-of-thumb is to avoid applying any product if the surface is too warm to touch with the palm of your hand comfortably.

50 degrees Fahrenheit = 10.0 degrees Celsius
    90 degrees Fahrenheit = 32.2 degrees Celsius

Related articles

Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for the info.

I went out several hours later to wipe off. After performing the swipe test it still wasn’t totally dry. Wiped off fine to reveal a nice shine. When I pulled the car out the next day I was pretty happy with the final results.

Hopefully these pictures load okay...

Wax cure time in cold-img_2803-jpgWax cure time in cold-img_2793-jpgWax cure time in cold-img_2788-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app