autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying every time you wax?

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Most notably in the "Detailing 101 by Autogeek" Facebook group. Some really interesting folks in there.

"What's a good one step compound or polish?" - HD Speed!

"Using more than one foam pad per compound/polish step on a car is a waste of money"

"Pads work better when they've been broken in by use on 5 or 6 cars"

The "Pro Only Tips" posts from 17 year old Chemical Guy disciples are usually pretty interesting as well.

Interesting place...
    I will agree with you that facebook group for AG is brutal (interesting is a very polite term for some of the harsh replies on there)

there are a "few" normal people on it, but I'm considering deleting it anyway lol

it's a totally different atmosphere when you have moderators, which is why this forum is as successful as it is

I saw an AIO argument on there last night that made me literally click the "X" box

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bishop View Post
    I saw an AIO argument on there last night that made me literally click the "X" box
    LOL...that mighta been me, aka Michael Rodent, trying to clarify that the correct suggestion for a 'One step polish or compound' is not HD Speed. It's like HD Speed is somehow the answer to everything over there. It devolved into grammar/syntax issues.

It you're in the right mood (i.e. cranky) it can be a fun place; the "If you use more that 1 foam pad per car it's because you don't know what you're doing" guy was just unbelievable.

Someone there last week was touting "the most sensational 9h coating product in the world, just look at it being used on this private collection red Ferrari!"

Unfortunately the vendors product demo video was a cut and paste video made up of another shop's rather well known video showing their actual La Ferrari coating process. Oops...

Post Thanks / Like

LOL...that mighta been me, aka Michael Rodent, trying to clarify that the correct suggestion for a 'One step polish or compound' is not HD Speed. It's like HD Speed is somehow the answer to everything over there. It devolved into grammar/syntax issues.

It you're in the right mood (i.e. cranky) it can be a fun place; the "If you use more that 1 foam pad per car it's because you don't know what you're doing" guy was just unbelievable.

Someone there last week was touting "the most sensational 9h coating product in the world, just look at it being used on this private collection red Ferrari!"

Unfortunately the vendors product demo video was a cut and paste video made up of another shop's rather well known video showing their actual La Ferrari coating process. Oops...
    yeah Mike that was the discussion that made me click the "X" box
    lol
    I love 3D HD Speed, but I'm wise enough to know it's not the only product out there that's good, and to your argument it was not honestly the answer to the OP's question......
    What I've learned about many of the FB guys is they really should make an account here and check out the numerous instructional threads and videos, because some of the info shared on the FB site is not the best

Post Thanks / Like

yeah Mike that was the discussion that made me click the "X" box
    lol
    'Michael Rodent' is actually a pseudonym for Mickey Mouse.

I love 3D HD Speed, but I'm wise enough to know it's not the only product out there that's good, and to your argument it was not honestly the answer to the OP's question......
    Oh no!!! Claying every time you wax?

Eh, I'm still of the opinion that somebody wants a 'One step compound/polish' they're looking for something that replaces a 2 step compound and polish regimen to get the surface ready for LSP. Hd Speed/Megs D166 to me are strictly referred to using AIO terminology.

No matter, it's all good but it sure is mo2te of a Wild West over there.

As to the OP here, I spent years doing Dawn wash, clay, Zaino each spring. Sometimes it left some faint marring, sometimes not but I wasn't as OCD back then...nor did I know as much...i think.

Post Thanks / Like

I clay every time. But the last time I did it, it seemed unnecessary, as I hardly felt any resistance or saw much on the clay. I think I'll get a fine clay mitt from Nanoskin so that if the car only needs a very light decontamination, I can do it quickly and still have peace of mind that I have a clean surface to apply the LSP to.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, a non-AG coating vendor came out with a glass coating specific clay. Would it apply to a wide variety of vehicles where a 'tender clay' would be desired? Dunno.

Ultra Soft Glass Coat Clay will help you remove lightly embedded contamination from the paint with ease! This truly unique clay is specially formulated without abrasives, allowing it to not only work well on bare paint but to work on a glass coated surface without leaving micro scratches. The incredibly malleable bar is easily shaped and with some clay lube, it will glide across the surface readily. It works great with virtually all clay lubes, so keep using your favorite one. You will notice right away this bar has the rare balance of great cleaning power but very gentle on your paint so you don't introduce marring. XXX recommends storing this bar in a cool area in between uses. If it is stored near heat, it will become a little tacky but you can easily fix it by placing it back in a cool area. The bar will regain its original feel and work great for you! This is a really remarkable type of clay that will impress anyone who loves car care. So take your paint to the next level with a deep cleaning from the XXX Ultra Soft Glass Coat Clay!

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, a non-AG coating vendor came out
    with a glass coating specific clay. Would it
    apply to a wide variety of vehicles where a
    'tender clay' would be desired? Dunno.
    I definitely would:
    “Love Me (Some) Tender (Clay)” ~E.P.

To add:
    This clay’s description reads like it’d make
    for a pretty cool: colder-clime-clay.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

El thanks but wouldn't the fine grade be safer? What a big price difference wow.

QUOTE=Eldorado2k;1538974]I think they're great. You haven't tried them yet? If not I'd recommend this 1 for starters.

https://www.autogeek.net/autoscrub-handy-towel.html

Use plenty of lube and start off easy on the paint.[/QUOTE]
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

I would say clay if your car needs it. If it doesnt.. then dont. I've had clay marring but only from the clay sponge block from nanoskin. I don't mind because it's a medium grade block and it's pretty aggressive. I've used it with n914, wolfgang rinseless, onr, cg clay lube, and detailers pride waterless wash. It's marred every single time no matter what but that's what I use before I have to polish anyway. Normally I use either the cg claymitt or mothers clay and no marring from those. You only get clay married generally if there is a lack of lubrication or not enough lubrication.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    My opinion, without any scientific evidence, is that clay is an abrasive, regardless of how much lube you use. For me, if I clay, I polish. I think marring is inevitable if you use clay. I think a synthetic clay may mar less.
    So much this.....I have never clayed a car with any clay, synthetic clay, clay mit, etc. that didn't do some marring to the paint. If I clay, I at the very least, buff the car with an aio, or fine polish if I'm doing a different lsp. You may not notice the marring on a light color, but it's there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast