autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A question for the Carnauba lovers in here.

I've been in a carnauba binge lately, buying several different handpoured, small batched, boutique waxes, and I'm wondering about removal of old wax and application of a new coat. From reading here it looks like most everyone is in agreement that an IPA wipedown will not remove wax or sealant, just dull the beading. Then I thought about getting something like P21S paintwork cleanser to use prior to a new application of wax. But now I'm curious, since most waxes diminish after a month or so is it really necessary to completely remove a prior layer of wax before applying a new one? What say the hive?

I also searched the forum and didn't quite get what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A question for the Carnauba lovers in here.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMacky View Post
    ...is it really necessary to completely remove a prior layer of wax before applying a new one?...
    Unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Just put whatever on top. Stripping isn't going to change the look much. It might change durability. If you put a more durable product on top of a less durable product is the only time it might matter. Once you get bored of it all, Collinite 915 FTW.

Post Thanks / Like

A question for the Carnauba lovers in here.

I would definitely use a cleanser. Dirt and dust will stick to carnauba more so than any other lsp. You will be surprised how much contamination you pull off a freshly washed car when using a paint cleanser .

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Necessary.... No
    Recommend.... Yes

If the paint is in great well maintained condition and you just want to try another wax or layer then go for it.
    Use your judgement.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Necessary.... No
    Recommend.... Yes

If the paint is in great well maintained condition and you just want to try another wax or layer then go for it.
    Use your judgement.
    IMO he is Correct. That being said I use a dedicated wax remover. I am using Polish Angel Escalate Lotion. It does have some very minor scratch removing capabilities and it cleans the ride for you to wax. Any dedicated wax remover like Pinnacle Wax remover,Polish Angel or any other quality brand should do. I am a waxaholic like you. What I have come to find out with using so many waxes is soon you will be using only a couple of brands no more than 5 as some wax brands really aren't that great. But either way, IF IT WERE ME I would use a wax remover. But if you don't want to no worries but Dr Oldz states it perfect!

BTW, I forgot to mention one thing. If you use a dedicated wax remover or IPA wipe down and you want to use a sealant instead that will be fine too!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered some P21S paintwork cleanser. I have been using sealants for a while, WG DGPS looks the best but beading is less than stellar. IDK why but I prefer the look and feel of a good carnauba. The paint is soft but smooth, the look has character, and soul, whereas most sealants (save WG) do not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VickMacky View Post
    Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered some P21S paintwork cleanser. I have been using sealants for a while, WG DGPS looks the best but beading is less than stellar. IDK why but I prefer the look and feel of a good carnauba. The paint is soft but smooth, the look has character, and soul, whereas most sealants (save WG) do not.
    FYI I use Wax for my ride. Additionally, I use wax for darker colored cars. For White and silver I use sealant. IMO a wax has more depth, warmth and a wetter look. So I am in agreement with you. Again, THAT IS MY OPINION! Others may think otherwise and that's OK.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    FYI I use Wax for my ride. Additionally, I use wax for darker colored cars. For White and silver I use sealant. IMO a wax has more depth, warmth and a wetter look. So I am in agreement with you. Again, THAT IS MY OPINION! Others may think otherwise and that's OK.

Yeah the WG does look really good on my white truck but it's a glassy, flat shine (to me) so I usually top it with a carnauba. I think for a while I'm just going to go straight carnauba and see how it goes. I wash one or twice a week and use a good detail spray to reinforce the protection so durability is not super important to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    I would definitely use a cleanser. Dirt and dust will stick to carnauba more so than any other lsp. You will be surprised how much contamination you pull off a freshly washed car when using a paint cleanser .

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I agree with your take if using a carnauba that has little in the way of any "dope". Meaning cleansers, detergents.

Carnaubas will "cut" through greases, oils, prints, and will probably cut right through past existing paint protectants, but not so good at getting out dirts from a paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast