autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Recommend a Coating

Hi everyone. I am new to auto detailing, so please bare with me if I sound like a noob.

Just recently I bought a brand new CX5 in metallic gray. I cleaned the car and put some Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax on day one. While the look is decent right after waxing, i have noticed a layer of dust built up on the car the very next morning. That really bugs the living hell out of me. I live in an apartment so my car is parked in a car port at night, and out in the sun during the day when I am at work. I plan to do a real car wash once every month or two, and use waterless method in between.

I have been reading a lot about coatings for the past few days, and seems like coating will repel dust much better than traditional wax or sealant, so I am very tempted to give it a try. I know there are many posts about ceramic coatings already, but can you recommend me a coating that is best suited for my needs?

- Repels Dust
    - Able to withstand waterless car wash (good scratch resistance)
    - Gives protection to California sunshine
    - Last at least 1 year

I don't need the car to look brand new all the time, I just want it to stay clean as much as possible. Mckee's coating seems very good for the price, but I think some people say the new version is not as slick as the old version, so does that mean it will hold on to dust more than a coating that is slicker?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Recommend a Coating

Your car will have a layer of dust on it after 1 day regardless of what type of protection you have applied... heck, it will have dust on it with in 1 hour regardless of what type of protection you have applied. You might run, you might hide, but you cannot escape the dust.

A waterless wash, when done properly, should not scratch a vehicle... regardless of what type of protection you have applied to it. No coating can prevent damage from poor washing technique.

Any quality coating will make your vehicle easier to clean and keep your car looking cleaner for longer periods of time, which will save you time in the grand scheme of things, but frequent and proper maintenance is critical... again, regardless of what type of protection you have applied.

Retired Professional Detailer

3. Thanks 01GreyStangGT thanked for this post
    Likes Off liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I understand dust falling on top of the car is unavoidable. But from what I read online, seems like wax/sealant will attract dust more than a coating because wax/sealant is not as anti-static as coating?

Honestly, I was hoping that with a good coating, dust will get blown off when I drive the car lol...maybe that's too much to ask for?

Post Thanks / Like

That is too much to ask for.

Static is developed when you rub the car... with wax, with a towel, etc.

Waxes and sealants tend to create a stronger charge which will attract more dust in a given period of time, but coatings will still get dusty, and dust will not just fly off the car unfortunately.

The major benefits to nano coatings are the ease of maintenance (easier to clean, do not have to reapply in weeks or months), durable glossy finish, and thicker protection.

I coat all of my vehicles and will likely never go back to traditional protection, but it is important to understand the abilities and limitations of a coating so your expectations are not set higher than the capabilities of the coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation Zach!

So will the slick or grabby nature of the coating have any effect on anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are new to detailing, I would start with the McKee's. It's the "gateway" coating. It's easy to apply, cheap, works well, and since the bottle goes a long way, you can experiment with how much is needed without worrying about running out before you finish the vehicle. Once you get the hang of it, there is a whole world of new protection options.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ywcsam View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Zach!

So will the slick or grabby nature of the coating have any effect on anything?
    No, not really. Silica based coatings in general are not as slick as traditional waxes and sealants (though some coatings are beginning to add ingredients that enhance slickness), though in my opinion the physical slickness has nothing to do with how a wax, sealant, or coating performs... it just feels cool.

If you do prefer a slick to the touch feel, there are many spray on sealants that have been created to work in conjunction with a nano coating that will enhance gloss, slickness, and add more protection on top of your coating. Products like CarPro Reload, Gyeon Cure, GTechniq C2, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this is going a completely different direction that where you are heading, but I wanted to offer an observation.

I've been using McKee's Extender Spray wax on my car for the past month or so, and it seems to be more dust repellent than any other product that I have tried. In addition, it looks really good on metallic gray.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

Your getting great advice here on the coatings for sure, so instead of joining in there I will comment on your other situation, the waterless/rinseless wash. IMO WW is pretty much for dust, light to moderate and even light dirt from driving in the rain, there are MANY options here but IMO its Ech2o and N914. Taking it a step further, IMO the Ech2o is better for doing RW but still does great in WW form, N914 on the other hand, the opposite, great with WW and still great in RW but for doing RW with N914, I like to double the concentration, that's just me. Get yourself a 1000 ml Kwazzer spray bottle, actually 2 of them, one for RW and one for WW. When doing WW I like to make a gallon at a time, so get yourself some distilled water and follow the directions for making both RW and WW's and you'll be happy but for RW's it isn't a must to use distilled because your making up the mix right there in the bucket and getting after it on the spot, whereas with WW its best to make a gallon at a time, again, just my .02 cents.

Good luck with the coating you chose and post pics!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I'll come right out and it answered your question I recommend McKees 37 sio2 coating.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using the AutoGeek Mobile App
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast