autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Under side of a vehicle; winter prep question

Hey guys, I searched a bit but couldn't find a specific answer.

My vehicle is a well taken care of 2009 Nissan Xterra and living in the Midwest I've come across that rust is inevitable. How do you guys go about sealing the rust and putting a protective coating on the bottom side of your vehicle?

I was thinking about using a rust reformer spray can to take care of any little surface rust spots then seal it all with an rubber undercoating. Would this be a bad idea?

Any ideas would be helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Under side of a vehicle; winter prep question

I live not far from you and my approach is to simply keep the underside as clean as possible, rather than applying a product.

I've found a couple touchless washes in my area that have an undercarriage spray. When the temperatures are above freezing, I'll take our vehicles through one of them and drive REALLY slowly over those jets to blast all the salt away. If I can't do that for some reason, I'll go to a coin-op wash bay and wash out all the wheel wells and undercarriage with the pressure washer.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

On my Xterra I just rinse the underside before each wash. You are really at the mercy of brutal PA winters.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I have a spray bottle filled with Marvel Mystery Oil and I keep all bolts and moving parts coated. obviously after washing. keeps moisture away and rust from forming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I live not far from you and my approach is to simply keep the underside as clean as possible, rather than applying a product.

I've found a couple touchless washes in my area that have an undercarriage spray. When the temperatures are above freezing, I'll take our vehicles through one of them and drive REALLY slowly over those jets to blast all the salt away. If I can't do that for some reason, I'll go to a coin-op wash bay and wash out all the wheel wells and undercarriage with the pressure washer.
    That has been my go to up until this point. I found a touchless wash that has a good underbody wash. I just figured coating it might help. but yea, hey, I've actually moved to the Fairview Heights Area and work in STL! Glad to see a local!

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    On my Xterra I just rinse the underside before each wash. You are really at the mercy of brutal PA winters.
    Yup, thats what I have been doing!

Quote Originally Posted by '03 Ram 5.9 View Post
    I have a spray bottle filled with Marvel Mystery Oil and I keep all bolts and moving parts coated. obviously after washing. keeps moisture away and rust from forming
    Hmmm not a bad idea...

Post Thanks / Like

here in the rust belt we use products like Krown Rust control or Rust Check.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some posts on other parts of this forum where the guys have talked about Fluid Film. It is available at Lowe's in a spray can form. I just bought three cans of it and plan to use it before the New England winter hits my area.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m trying cosmoline spray on our 17 Accord probably do it Saturday (tomorrow ) in the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I’m trying cosmoline spray on our 17 Accord probably do it Saturday (tomorrow ) in the shop

Has the product changed much over time?

In '99 I bought a new BMW and it was sprayed all over the underside and wheel wells at the factory to protect the car during it's boat ride from Germany. Dealerships removed it during the prep. I remember it being a nasty goo similar to vaseline which created a really bad odor when burning off hot car parts like the exhaust, transmission, and oil pan. It was hard to remove and got into everything.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Has the product changed much over time?

In '99 I bought a new BMW and it was sprayed all over the underside and wheel wells at the factory to protect the car during it's boat ride from Germany. Dealerships removed it during the prep. I remember it being a nasty goo similar to vaseline which created a really bad odor when burning off hot car parts like the exhaust, transmission, and oil pan. It was hard to remove and got into everything.
    It’s sort of like a wax you spray on. You can get standard which is kind of brown tinted. Or black now a days.

Here is a pic I found on a forum for Porsche’s from Cooper911SC top coated bottom removed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast