autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie to Detailing

Since I am green to detailing using a PC I have been reading alot of info on the forums and there are so many different products and opinions on what to use and how to use them it's mind boggling. I have always kept my cars in excellent mechanical amd cosmetic condition but now I went to the next level. My car is garage kept and doesn't see the harsh elements that much due to using my company car. Since the paint is in excellent condition I went with Megs products, #7 Glaze, #21 sealant, and #26 wax. I am hoping to get and keep the full brilliance of the dark blue finish.
    Last edited by 325i05; 01-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Rookie to Detailing

isant a sealant a wax or what is the diffrence

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie to Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by jader2012 View Post
    isant a sealant a wax or what is the diffrence

Paint Sealant - Sealants are created in labs to replicate what waxes do by extracting any properties that don’t add to increased shine, protection, ease of use, etc. Sealants typically provide the longest lasting form of protection which lasts 3 – 6 months depending on conditions. Sealants generally apply extremely thin, wipe on and off very easy and add a fantastic shine to any color paint.

Wax - Waxes are a strong form of protection but do not last as long as sealants (approximately 2 – 8 weeks). Waxes provide a very deep reflection with lots of gloss for maximum shine. Waxes are commonly layered over sealants for the ideal combination of protection and shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 325i05 View Post
    Since I am green to detailing using a PC I have been reading alot of info on the forums and there are so many different products and opinions on what to use and how to use them it's mind boggling. I have always kept my cars in excellent mechanical amd cosmetic condition but now I went to the next level. My car is garage kept and doesn't see the harsh elements that much due to using my company car. Since the paint is in excellent condition I went with Megs products, #7 Glaze, #21 sealant, and #26 wax. I am hoping to get and keep the full brilliance of the dark blue finish.
    Meguiar's seems to have this mithology of using oil glaze, and then topping it of with a sealant. Most sealants won't bond to a glaze (oil), and even it they will - you are ruining it's durablity. Although NXT wax seems to have some kind of cleaners, I wound't use it over #7, even if it is NXT 2.0. Just skip #7, apply a coat or two of NXT, and top it off with #26 if you are a big Meguiar's fan. Your result will be far more superior, and durability will be longer.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Meguiar's seems to have this mithology of using oil glaze, and then topping it of with a sealant. Most sealants won't bond to a glaze (oil), and even it they will - you are ruining it's durablity. Although NXT wax seems to have some kind of cleaners, I wound't use it over #7, even if it is NXT 2.0. Just skip #7, apply a coat or two of NXT, and top it off with #26 if you are a big Meguiar's fan. Your result will be far more superior, and durability will be longer.