autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's Tire coating

3 weeks ago i cleaned my tires really well with the mckee tire cleaner. i then coated them with 2 coats using their coating. they looked good. not a huge shine like gels but i knew that. today i washed. i used just soap and water like it says. nothing else. now that they are dried they look so much more dull. almost in spots, especially around the edges where tire meets road, like the coating isn't there anymore.

what am i doing wrong? am i suppose to be still dressing them with gel each week over the coating? i mean they are deff clean they just don't look like they did wet ni coated them only 3 weeks ago.

thanks guys.

i was expecting way better results.

PS i will say my rims cleaned with literally just water after using the pinnacle spray coating for rims. i'm impressed with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's Tire coating

Did you miss those areas during the initial coating application process?

Post Thanks / Like

I personally wasnt a fan of this McKees product. I had similar results. Even with double application and cleaning (as I figured I did something wrong the first time). Everything else I have used from the line has been outstanding though!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally found that the Mckee's coating does not leave much gloss or shine, but it does give the tire a clean "new tire" look for up to a few months. More like a satin finish. Its not like a hard surface coating, but it definitely outlasts any tire shine Ive ever tried.

If you want a rich gloss or shine, this product wont do it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

no i seriously didn't. i really actually concentrated on those areas cause there are so many grooves. i rubbed it in left right up down. to make sure i got all the way in there and completely in there.

Post Thanks / Like

i know all this. not looking for shine. these areas looked like the coating was gone compared to other areas. almost like i didn't wash them even though i went over them again with soap and water.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    3 weeks ago i cleaned my tires really well with the mckee tire cleaner. i then coated them with 2 coats using their coating. they looked good. not a huge shine like gels but i knew that. today i washed. i used just soap and water like it says. nothing else. now that they are dried they look so much more dull. almost in spots, especially around the edges where tire meets road, like the coating isn't there anymore.

what am i doing wrong? am i suppose to be still dressing them with gel each week over the coating? i mean they are deff clean they just don't look like they did wet ni coated them only 3 weeks ago.

thanks guys.

i was expecting way better results.

PS i will say my rims cleaned with literally just water after using the pinnacle spray coating for rims. i'm impressed with that.
    Old tire dressing on the tire might have been the culprit.

Instead of just using a tire brush to agitate the tire. Get a microfiber towel or a terry towel, and rub off the dirt/grime. Old dressings can remain on the tire. and this is a really effective way to ensure the best bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe there is some sort of oil based substance on the tire that is preventing the coating from adhering to those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a little disappointing. I just got the McKees tire kit with rejuvenator, tire sealant and wheel coating. I spent an afternoon getting my summer wheels ready for installation. I'll try to post back with followup after they go on.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

Due to the feedback received, we actually reformulated the product. Autogeek will have it for sale next week.

New formula is glossier and it lasts longer.

If you're NOT happy with the current formula, please let me know and I'll make sure it gets swapped out for a bottle of the new formula.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast