autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How long to work compound? Halos on XLR have me befuddled

I am still working on getting these halos out of this XLR I am working on, and I have tried the KBM method with M105/ Burgunday Soft Buff pad, M205/Polishing pad and it seems no matter what combination I am still ending up with fine halos.

The major swirl defects are gone. I Have primed the pads with compound, running at a speed of about 4-5 on the G110, doing about 4-6 passes for about a 2 x 2 area and am moving quite slowly, maybe takes 8-10 secs to do one pass. Should I work the area longer? I am adding just a bit more pressure on top of the weight of the polisher.

Should the compound on the paint still be wet when you wipe it off? I am using a clean microfiber for each section I work on to make sure the MF isn't adding them.

Something with my technique has to be wrong. Maybe I will have my wife film me working a section and I will post it for critique and tips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long to work compound? Halos on XLR have me befuddled

If the M205 with the Meguiars polishing pad is causing fine swirls, maybe you should try changing the pad to the Meguiars Finishing pad and see if that solves your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kemefk View Post
    If the M205 with the Meguiars polishing pad is causing fine swirls, maybe you should try changing the pad to the Meguiars Finishing pad and see if that solves your problem.
    Tried that also I may just setup the tripod with the camera and record it myself

Post Thanks / Like

only 8 to 10 seconds to do one pass? isn't that a bit fast? try working it longer it maybe break down the abrasives better

but you mentioned you're using 105 and 205 hmm one of their main selling points is that you don't need to break them down you can stop when you are happy with the level of correction as i recall Mr. Mike Pennington mention before

also curious about others answers

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Madkatz. Try working the polish slowly and work it until the polish goes clear. That might help. If that doesn't work, then maybe the paint is soft on the XLR in which you might have to polish using 3M ultrafina or Menzerna SF 4500.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 has a very limited work time, it could be possible that you dry buffed some.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    M105 has a very limited work time, it could be possible that you dry buffed some.
    If dry buffing with M105 caused the halos or micro-marring, shouldn't M205 be able to clean that up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    I think that may be part of the issue, I was outside and it was cloudy and 70 with a good breeze but when I would wipe off the compound it was hazed over like dried wax or sealant.

Should I work even a smaller area then and make sure the compound stays wet when I wipe it off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011Mustang5.0 View Post
    I think that may be part of the issue, I was outside and it was cloudy and 70 with a good breeze but when I would wipe off the compound it was hazed over like dried wax or sealant.

Should I work even a smaller area then and make sure the compound stays wet when I wipe it off?
    When I use M105, I give it a spritz of water to increase the buffing cycle. You could try that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kemefk View Post
    When I use M105, I give it a spritz of water to increase the buffing cycle. You could try that.
    Reading the doc that Kevin Brown of the KBM method wrote up recommends against using anything like that as it can cause clumping and uneven particles for the polishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast