autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter vs Griot's

Was doing some polishing this weekend when I accidentally set the Porter to 4. Imagine my surprise when I got almost no rotation at all when the pad was placed on the car surface.

Is a problem running a low speeds common to all Porters? I seem to remember reading something about this.

The Porter is a workhouse at 5 or higher, but no so much when you go below that.

And because I plan on applying LSP by machine, this is important. I would think I need to apply that stuff at 4.

Would the Griot solve this problem? It's on sale although the 5" backing plate is extra (I have mostly 5.5 pads).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter vs Griot's

I have both machines. Spreading whatever liquid I apply on speed 1 works fine for me with the PC. I CHECK Hexlogic 6in and 5.5in foam pads. Microsoft pads also spread fine on speed 1. However, the GG6 has more power than the PC imo. My GG6 has a 6in backing plate and the PC has a 5.5.5in backing plate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have found through the years that every machine speed dial is a little different. Just because you have to use a higher number than another similar machine doesn't make one worse than the other. Now if you are comparing maximum speeds, yes it does matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I have found through the years that every machine speed dial is a little different. Just because you have to use a higher number than another similar machine doesn't make one worse than the other. Now if you are comparing maximum speeds, yes it does matter.
    Never even thought of that. I should use the slowest speed possible that gets the LSP on the vehicle.

And the Porter's 5 or 6 is definitely high enough to get the polishing done.

I swear, I don't care how it looks, I'm never doing another car by hand again.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is normal, for any kind of consistent rotation the machine needs to be at 4.5 or higher.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PC and to me Speed setting 5 is where I go for correcting/polishing. You can go at a lower speed with a smaller than 5" BP. I seem to do well with the 3 - 3.5" Backing plates. But even that will sometimes stop the spinning. That being said, I have learned how to keep the PC spinning. But I mainly use the PC for spreading wax and sealant (Speed setting 2 - 3). My main DA is the Flex 3401 VRG. That has NO ISSUES of stopping or spinning.

But if I were to be correcting and polishing....speed setting 5 is where I will leave the PC at. It appears to be the most effective IMO.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tampatopless View Post
    Was doing some polishing this weekend when I accidentally set the Porter to 4. Imagine my surprise when I got almost no rotation at all when the pad was placed on the car surface.

Is a problem running a low speeds common to all Porters? I seem to remember reading something about this.

The Porter is a workhouse at 5 or higher, but no so much when you go below that.

And because I plan on applying LSP by machine, this is important. I would think I need to apply that stuff at 4.

Would the Griot solve this problem? It's on sale although the 5" backing plate is extra (I have mostly 5.5 pads).
    Also remember that when spreading wax, hardly any pressure is applied to the machine, unlike correcting with it.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

on speed setting 4 (and up) on my GG6 (on a flat surface) it will not stop rotating even with some firm pressure...

Post Thanks / Like

I regularly apply sealants on speed 3, and finish polish on speed 4, or 4.5.

What pads are you using?

Mike Phillips

Was doing some polishing this weekend when I accidentally set the Porter to 4.

Imagine my surprise when I got almost no rotation at all when the pad was placed on the car surface.

Is a problem running a low speeds common to all Porters?

The Porter Cable orbital polisher is not the most powerful in its class, the Griot's takes first prize for power.

I worked with an Engineer for Black & Decker, he was on the Petersen Museum episode of our TV show but I know him from him attending years of the TNOGs I started and led for Meguiar's back in Irvine, California.

I asked him once if he could pass on some suggestions to the Porter Cable division and he said he could try but to paraphrase, he said they wouldn't care about any suggestions to improve the tool and wouldn't implement any either.

They sell jillions of these things as both wood sanders and car polishers and don't care about what we the masses think.

Here's the deal though, they could improve the tool with a few simple changes,

1: More power. How much could it cost on a global scale to increase the power?

2: More accurate speed controller to interface between the motor and the speed dial. Each turn of the speed dial should increase or decrease the motor speed. If you check your PC you'll see that from the range of 3-5 there's very little felt or heard difference.

3: A speed dial that clicks into place, can't think of the word right now but instead of smooth rolling dial I'd prefer one that ratchets or clicks from one speed to the next so it remains in the speed selected.

Like I've been posting for years...

Millions of cars have been de-swirled using any version of the Porter Cable 7314, 7336 and now the 7424XP

When machine applying a FINISHING wax or sealant, (that means an NON-cleaning wax or sealant, you don't need pad rotation as you're NOT trying to remove defect but merely spread out a uniform layer of product over the surface.

Specifically on the Porter Cable polishers you need to be on the 4 to 5 setting ONLY because a rotating pad glides better and easier over paint than a vibrating pad. (try it and see)

When applying a CLEANER/WAX that is when you're trying to remove defects, (remove paint), now you need to max out the PC and go with speed 6 to maintain pad rotation under pressure and over irregular shaped body panels.

Yes.

Speed 3 on the Griot's is like speed 6 on the Porter Cable. I might be exaggerating a little but not by much.

The Griot's has tons more usable power to maintain pad rotation when using compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes.

When machine applying a finishing wax you only need speed 2

I would recommend the Griot's over the PC any day to anyone wanting to detailing their own cars or get started detailing cars for money.

I would also recommend getting the 5: backing plate so you can turn and churn 5.5" foam and microfiber pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast