autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Pad Questions

I just purchased the Griot Garage (GR-10750) Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit...,Following the instructions and watching the included DVD I encountered the following:

After fully priming the orange 6" pad with plenty of product (Griot's Garage Machine Polish 3) and the polisher on setting 5, I noticed the orange pad started to deteriorate on or about the 5th section pass...I immediately shut the unit off to inspect and found a silver dollar sized area in the center of the pad to have separated from the velcro backing material.

Is this a defect with the pad, my preparation/technique, or both?

Thanks,
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Pad Questions

Two things come to mind. To much pressure, and not installing the washer between the backing plate and the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that machine and I have never heard of that. I did not even think about the washer. Why would a missing washer do that?

Post Thanks / Like

My first Griot pad also deteriorated around the 4th or 5th panel. The pad became kversaturated with product and failed early. For what it's worth, I have had LC pads fail for the same reason. I now switch pads every two sections and the pads last longer---less saturation and less heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibear2k5 View Post
    I just purchased the Griot Garage (GR-10750) Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit...,Following the instructions and watching the included DVD I encountered the following:

After fully priming the orange 6" pad with plenty of product (Griot's Garage Machine Polish 3) and the polisher on setting 5, I noticed the orange pad started to deteriorate on or about the 5th section pass...I immediately shut the unit off to inspect and found a silver dollar sized area in the center of the pad to have separated from the velcro backing material.

Is this a defect with the pad, my preparation/technique, or both?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Sounds like a defective pad or you weren't using enough product... and worked it to long

Call Griots and they will send you a replacement pad no questions asked
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Run the machine a while at low speed till it breaks in a bit. You'll notice after using the griots a few times it will run cooler in the middle of the backing plate, you probably over heated the pad with to much product then matched with a new machine. Those pads are pretty good but over heat them and they will sink in the middle or separate from the back as you described.
    A passion for perfection!

opie_7afe

remember with a DA the product migrates into the center of the pad, with a rotary it goes to the outside as splatter. so use less product and it should not happen or do your same method just dont prime the center, theres a way to perfectly prime a pad and have no issues, do 3 circles of product on the pad and rub it into the pad with your fingers, you will notice the product being pushed into the areas of the pad with no polish on it already, you just need alittle bit of polish to be into the pores of the pad, use less product when priming next time and see if that helps also.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great forum....thank you all for your advice/recommendations!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I contact Griots direct or Autogeek to request a replacement?