autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima interior guard -- now white on dash

I have read a lot on the forums, but first post. After seeing the rave reviews, I recently purchased the Ultima interior shampoo and Ultima interior guard plus. Prior to this, I had been using either 303 or Meguair's natural finish; vehicle is a 2004 Lexus RX330 with a black lightly textured dash.

I applied the interior shampoo and followed up with the interior guard and thought things were fine.

However, after applying the product per the directions, and coming back about an hour later, throughout the dash, there is now a white looking finish in the texture part of the dash. It is not as bad; however, it almost reminds me of using a wax on a black bumper.

My first thought was, perhaps I applied too much product? Regardless, any ideas on how to bring the dash back with a matte black finish?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by newtoncd; 09-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima interior guard -- now white on dash

I had this happen on a few different dash boards and on black Range Rover consoles. I don't use the stuff on anything black anymore. My customer's love the way it makes leather seats feel and repel water, but for black I now use Optimum Protectant Plus.

I used IPA 91% sprayed on the towel not the dash to clean the UIGP off and applied something else to it. It's a shame because their stuff works so well and easy but I'm done with the UIGP once this bottle is gone.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm, isopropyl alcohol won't harm the dashboard at all? All I have is the stuff you would buy at Wal-Mart, do I need to dilute that?

I am pretty frustrated I just purchased all of the Ultima products (both interior/exterior) and this is the result.
    Last edited by newtoncd; 09-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad I read this thread. I was about to order the ultima interior guard but may wait now because all 3 of my vehicles have black interiors. Any others out there experienced this same problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Never had this problem on any black dashes and many were Lexus and Rovers. I usually go straight from Optimum OPC to UIG for dashes and use Ultima shampoo for steering wheels, leather, and shift knobs then coat with UIG.

Not doubting OPs claims, just sharing my experience.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am the OP and wish I knew what was going on. The white residue almost looks like it has dried out the dash or something along those lines. It also looks the same on the vinyl along the door panels.

In a small test area, I put some 303 on top of it and will know in the morning what it looks like.

I also sent a note to the manufacturer to see if they have any ideas or can help.

Finally, I ordered the Optimum product and will report back how that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I've used UIG on several black dash boards and never had this problem. I haven't used the shampoo, I use Optimum Power Clean at about 6:1 to get anything old off first. Maybe some residual protectant that the shampoo didn't remove reacted badly with the UIG? I too have heard nothing but good about this product and have had great results on "pampered" interiors (I use Klasse on daily drivers because it lasts so long and has a muted sheen). Sorry for your trouble...

Post Thanks / Like

I think you must have left something on the dash--either remnants of the old 303 or some interior shampoo gel residue. I had some unevenness the first time I used it and I just went over it a second time. Problem solved.
    2012 Nissan GT-R Jet Black Black Edition (daily driver)
    2011 Audi Q5 (wife/kid)

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it on black and never have had this problem. I wouldn't clean it with strait isopropyl though either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only used it on black dashes and never had this problem. How much did you use? It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 sprays for the entire dash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast