autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

I'm 47 years old, my buddy Hectour is 38 and we talk about cars all the time. I actually wish our conversations were recorded and/or were on a podcast because they seem to go everywhere. The other day we were talking about why there isn't more younger people at the cars and coffee shows? Also why there aren't more Japanese cars at the cars and coffee type shows? I can only speak for myself but when I was 19 I would attend a local cruise night with my 78' Caprice Classic 2 door. It certainly wasn't a fast car at that time but it was my pride and joy and I continued to build it up over the years. I took a year off of having a toy in 1994 but in 1995 I got behind a Cobra Mustang and it said "Have you been bitten lately" and I snapped, went to the bank that week and bought a used 1987 Grand National. I owned that car for 5 years and modded it every year I owned it, went to cruise nights and drove it everywhere, except during the winter, always had a winter beater with the toys, ofcoarse. A lot of people were really into having cars, it seemed like a right of passage, atleast to me, it was "cool", fast forward to today.

Today you've got teens not getting their drivers licenses, taking an Uber to get around and not being interested in cars in general, kinda like what's happened to rock and roll as well. I mean we attend cars and coffees all over the greater Chicagoland area, really nice areas as well as middle of the road areas and you just don't see the younger crowd. Its not about having the latest and greatest but rather what are YOU working on right now. It doesn't even have to be mainstream, I mean I modded a 78' Caprice Classic coupe and would always hear "why did you build a Grandpa car" or "why not a Monte Carlo or something lighter?" Since then I've always appreciated something "different", so there has to be others out there like this as well but cars and being into them has seemed to be relegated to a "thing of the past".

I brought up Japanese cars and here in the greater Chicagoland there are all types of people and import cars are very popular and there were even cruise nights that catered to them but they've literally dried up over night. I used to go to them when I had my CR-Z which was from 2011 to 2014, now they've gone away, like the big top was brought down and it left town. Where did these cars go? I should also note that at these shows ALL cars were welcomed too, unlike the classic car shows where people would always look down their noses at imports or newer cars, that "built, not bought" attitude or "Murica" tude. I look at it like this, there should be a movement to keep the flame alive with cars, now more than ever because we've got this "movement" to electrify cars and even take the steering wheel and pedals out of the car, forget about "save the manuals", how about save the cars and get back into them.

So I ask, to everyone here, do you notice the same waning interest in cars with the younger generation? Btw, I'm not yelling at anyone to get off my lawn either, LOL, just wanted to pick the brains of my fellow geeks out there, thank you!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Thanks twisted1994 thanked for this post
    Likes Daven75, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Without trying to spark an argument, I’d say simply because the vast majority of the younger generation is struggling financially.

I’m sure some people will look and think “well I’m doing fine” but that’s anecdotal, at best.

I’ve always wanted a 2004 lightning in sonic blue, but it’s hardly something I ever think about, because I have such a small amount of disposable income.

One day will I have something? Who knows. Right now it seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes custmsprty, dlc95, Daven75, JKDesign, Len_A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No arguing here, not from this thread anyways. You bring up a good point but here in Chicagoland there's money and even in the nicer areas you just don't see as many younger people involved. I mean they are here and there, usually chasing after Laimbos with their cameras.

We all have a dream car but most of settle for something that fits our needs, sometimes you find a diamond in the ruff, case in point, my car. I look forward to getting into it everyday, turn around to look at it as I walk into work or when heading upstairs after work, not a lot of people find that in a car but it's possible.

The couple times I run into younger people who are into cars it's a big deal because I just hope and pray there are more of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    No arguing here, not from this thread anyways. You bring up a good point but here in Chicagoland there's money and even in the nicer areas you just don't see as many younger people involved. I mean they are here and there, usually chasing after Laimbos with their cameras.

We all have a dream car but most of settle for something that fits our needs, sometimes you find a diamond in the ruff, case in point, my car. I look forward to getting into it everyday, turn around to look at it as I walk into work or when heading upstairs after work, not a lot of people find that in a car but it's possible.

The couple times I run into younger people who are into cars it's a big deal because I just hope and pray there are more of them.

That is peculiar, and something I hadn't considered. My s/o from a fairly ritzy area in MD, out in Columbia, and I haven't met many young people from around there that are into cars in general. Unless you count them getting in to their grossly dirty car to get somewhere.

I also totally get that. My car isn't anything special, just a 2012 Altima in dark red, but I enjoy keeping it clean and maintained cosmetically and mechanically. it's been a fun process getting the paint where I want it, and literally checking boxes I have written down on a piece of paper of things I want to do to it. The next two projects are a new front bumper (eventually) because it's trashed, and filling in rock chips on the hood with something like Dr Colorchip.

I've always taken a sense of pride in taking care of things I've owned, and felt like if you were going to invest into something, you should care about it. I know not everyone shares that mentality (pretty prevalent throw away mentality in society) but it's been a pretty significant part of how I see things.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears to me that tech/gadgets have become
    some people’s most prized possessions...and that
    they have a much higher value to/for them than
    obtaining a driver’s license, or driving/owning a car.

Their popularity, job searches, dating,
    relationships, and most other connections
    are defined by their online status—not some
    “cool ride”.

Sure they may share someone’s car, and
    even go Uber-ing to reach a destination;
    but, I’d be willing to bet they’d never share
    their smart phone, etc.

Yes:
    Vehicle manufacturers have been forced to
    sit up and take notice of this trend (yep, their
    bottom-line i$ $uffering). They are now hoping
    that, by providing vehicles that will have more
    and more tech (including being autonomous),
    that a reversal of this trend will be effectuated.

And. Soon.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

You get it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 kids and I can tell you from talking to them and their friends that the #1 reason is the cost of auto insurance. If the parents aren't paying for it, there's no way a kid can afford $150-400/month for car insurance.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

10. Likes custmsprty, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in 1986 when I first started driving, I had to pay my parents $100 a month for insurance on a rusty 1975 Chevelle/Malibu Classic. That left me enough money for gas and teen expense....1986 here.

It's free to go shows and be interested but I think Bob is onto something earlier. My buddy Hetour made a good point when we spoke about car meets for specific types of cars. My first new car was a 2000 Contour SGT and we would have 20-30 cars show up and this was the Detroit area. This lasted for about 5 years and it slowly tailed off for those cars and then they disappeared. It's really amazing to see one today, let alone a nice one.

It's cheap to get something unique, just gotta look and think outside the box to get into the hobby, seems the torch hasn't been passed on, maybe it was forgotten at a playdate or soccer practice.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finacially speaking more and more people are rediculously in debt and when you think about vehicle prices, auto insurance prices, gas prices, and the cost of tires and maintenance that is alot of coin of any teenager. Add in the advance in technology and yes the basics of a car are still there but they are so electronic now I don't see but the special few really getting into cars. The EPA getting a tighter grip isn't helping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. Likes custmsprty, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff here!

That said, didn't we all have to deal with expense? I started driving in 1986 and minimum wage was $3.35 an hour and I couldn't legally work over 20 hrs due to the law. Sure my Dad traded a rifle for my first car but so are the breaks. Others start saving for their first taste of freedom earlier, just seems cars aren't the thing they once were. Don't see a lot of kids into Hot Wheels even, it's an adult hobby now, LOL but you have to start somewhereInterest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast