autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Idea for cleaning under the hood, good or bad????

So I was thinking about cleaning my engine and all the parts under there but was wondering what to use. For the most part it is very clean and I certainly do not ever want to spray it with a hose as some folks do (too chicken ) Everything I find on cleaning engine areas is spraying APCs or Gunk or something like that, then agitating and hosing. My engine is all aluminum so I need to be careful and need something that is WOWO b/c of the no hose thing. I started thinking about the parts under the hood and how there is plastic, rubber, aluminum, etc., all things that can be found in the interior of a car. Then I remembered I had Griots Interior Cleaner which is very gentle, safe for EVERYTHING apparently, and has no dies, perfumes, etc. This seemed to be the perfect thing at least on paper, so I thought I'd ask, would this be a good idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idea for cleaning under the hood, good or bad????

I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser as a cleaner. I spray it liberally where it's needed most, agitate with a wide variety of brushes then hose everything down with with clean water. I try not to force water directly into any of the electronics or connections then blow off as much as I can with my Metro Master Blaster....

Works like a charm and I've never had a problem....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    Also a pressure washer held back a ways is a big help...the volume of water is MUCH less than with a hose and you won't have to be so chicken.

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I've never had any issues spraying an engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, and I agree on my daily driver, I wouldn't mind. But on a car that you can no longer find parts for, if you ruin a computer it is much more than an expensive mistake, it may render it useless so I will not take the chance even if there is a small possibility, no matter how remote that water may do damage. I want to use a product that is WOWO that is why I thought the gentle Griots would be good. I'm going to try it and see how it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have the 2 gallon hand pump I will be using this on my car now. I've used the quarter carwash in the past w/o any problems and need to on say something like my wife's Mazda 6 because it wasn't bought new and maintained from the beginning.

On my current car, because I got it fairly new, I just wipe down after a carwash and I'm good to go but over winter I'll just use the handpump from time to time, using a product like Purple Power or Alien Kleen to clean-up when need be.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    So you just want to wipe your engine then? That's what it sounds like to me. I would just use a rinseless wash like ONR. If you want to remove something stubborn that requires a degreaser/apc then forget it. In my opinion it's risky to use a degreaser without a hose to ensure it's well rinsed. Engines get hot and any little by of left over degreaser will heat up and do damage.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    My engine is all aluminum so I need to be careful

I remembered I had Griots Interior Cleaner which is very gentle, safe for EVERYTHING apparently, and has no dies, perfumes, etc. This seemed to be the perfect thing at least on paper, so I thought I'd ask, would this be a good idea?
    Apparently is the definitive word here:
    Never, ever, settle for that!!

Instead...To be absolutely sure:
    The best idea is to do a test spot (in an area usually hidden from "normal viewing") to find if this GG Interior Cleaner is compatible with/on the all aluminum engine---and/or any other under hood aluminum components.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Simple Green is a good (on the milder side) cleaner that is safe for many different things. You can mist a little bit on and use a cloth to wipe away the cleaner and dirt, that way you don't have to use water. BUT like the others, I have used the garden hose as well as a pressure washer for years and with judicious use, I've never hurt anything. Just run the engine until it's warm and that will help dry out the tight areas.