autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Edge or Megs for rookie rotary user??

I am looking to stock up on some pads and polish now that I am using the Makita more than my UDM. I was looking at the Edge system and trying to compare with the Megs setup. Is there any real advantage to either product in ease of use for a newbie? I am only doing my own stuff or friends cars at this point so the two sided nature of the Edge pads doesn't really affect my decision. I want smooth action and good results, so Megs soft buff and wool or the Edge foam?

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Edge or Megs for rookie rotary user??

Quote Originally Posted by pricha00 View Post
    I am looking to stock up on some pads and polish now that I am using the Makita more than my UDM. I was looking at the Edge system and trying to compare with the Megs setup. Is there any real advantage to either product in ease of use for a newbie? I am only doing my own stuff or friends cars at this point so the two sided nature of the Edge pads doesn't really affect my decision. I want smooth action and good results, so Megs soft buff and wool or the Edge foam?

Pat.
    How does the fact that you will only be doing your own car and friend's affect your decision that the two sided nature of the Edge Pads doesn't affect your decision? It is generally a good idea to have two of each type of pad you are using just incase one gets dirty or gummed up you can just switch to another and don't have to stop and clean the one you are using? With Edge, you would just flip the pad over.

Some rookies like the fact that Edge does not have a backing plate so the risk of that backing plate scuffing an edge is not there.

I have never used Megs or Edge (only Lake Country) so I can't help you with which would be easier to use. Other posters can offer their experience though.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally prefer the edge system for ease of use as stated by Bert31 as you just have to flip the pad over or just change to a different pad size or type with out changing backing plates. I have both systems edge and lake country.Have not used the megs pads only the lake country for my backing plate system. The edge system to me is just plain easier.I can switch from either machine Rotary,Flex,PC or Udm with out skipping a beat
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think the Edge users hype the fact that you don't have to clean pads as often because you can use both sides. Well I don't charge by the hour so time is not as big a factor to me as results and ease of use.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

i love megs pads...perfect 3 pad setup

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the edge system, no chance of the backing plate hitting anything

Post Thanks / Like

I like EDGE pads too. They last a long time & I've never had 1 that was defective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I like EDGE pads too. They last a long time & I've never had 1 that was defective.
    Is EDGE what you use primarily in your shop? Do you use any of EDGE's polishing and finishing wools or do you use wool only for cutting and foam for polishing/finishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    Is EDGE what you use primarily in your shop? Do you use any of EDGE's polishing and finishing wools or do you use wool only for cutting and foam for polishing/finishing?
    Yes, in my shop, we primarily used EDGE foam pads for polishing and LC wool for cutting. I don't care for wool polishing pads for for any finishing work. I also love the black lambswool pads from Micro Surface instead of PFW.