autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite hazing after a few days

I was reading about Collinite and notice a few articles on Reedit and youtube where the Collinite user apply the product on their car, but then the wax hazed again after a few days. The poster explained that this is because of oil coming to the surface. I have never heard of this happening with other products.

I haven't try Collinite yet, so I am wondering if anyone notice this behavior for Collinite? Some of the posters appeared to apply the Collinite over a sealant, which may have contributed to the behavior?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite hazing after a few days

I take it you're specifically speaking of Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, correct?

Yes, I've read of some folks experiencing this problem and mentioning it here.

As you mention, is it a possibility of some odd interaction of being applied on top of another product? Possibly.

Or possibly a specific paint type or color? Or weather condition? Again possible.

All I can say, is that for all the times I used #845, literally dozens of times over the years in all sorts of weather conditions, and vehicle makes and colors, and I have never personally experienced this problem.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I take it you're specifically speaking of Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, correct?

Yes, I've read of some folks experiencing this problem and mentioning it here.

As you mention, is it a possibility of some odd interaction of being applied on top of another product? Possibly.

Or possibly a specific paint type or color? Or weather condition? Again possible.

All I can say, is that for all the times I used #845, literally dozens of times over the years in all sorts of weather conditions, and vehicle makes and colors, and I have never personally experienced this problem.
    Seconded. I've heard a lot of people say it but I personally haven't had it happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

This “sweating” phenomenon is not isolated
    to Collinite waxes. It has been reported to
    happen to many other Brands’ waxes as well.

•Perhaps the waxing area’s relative humidity
    is a factor? One thing for sure is, that, when
    the waxing area’s temperature reaches the
    Dew Point: condensation is gonna happen.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes SWETM, dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had wax hazing happen to me only once and believe high humidity was the cause.
    I applied the wax early in the morning when humidity was at the high for the day.
    Used the same wax many times since with no problems.
    It was not Collinite but a popular foreign brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually only happens if you applied too much. If you apply a very thin coat sweating should not occur. Having said that, I don’t even mess with waxes anymore, sealants and coatings are the way to go.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I did look up "sweating" and it does mentioned things like this happening with wax. Personally, I have never encountered this even when I wax on high humidity days. Based on some searches, there's several possible causes.
    1. The most likely cause is too thick of an application. Doing so leaves uneven amount of product behind that may haze over as the solvents in the product evaporate. Applying a thin layer should minimize this.
    2. I imagine that not shaking the bottle may result in incomplete mixture to be apply to the car.
    3. Applying collinite over another coating like a sealant appears to increase this occurrence. The reason I say this is because I was watching an application of Collinite on youtube from a poster with a handle of Obsessed Garage and he appears to be applying it really thin and he still say that he gets sweating more often than not, though it may be environmental since he may be in a high humidity area like Houston.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed this to happen more often this time of year.

Cool damp nights and warm/afternoon morning sun.
    It stops after a few days.
    It will help to do a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a couple of products that ghost or haze after application. I no longer use them as there are many SUPERIOR waxes/sealant or hybrids out there. Collinite is a brand I no longer use. I may cause a big stink with my opinion as there is a huge fan base for the product. For me I am not one from 1st hand experience. Additionally, it can get "finicky" to remove if you apply too much on it or depending on the panel being too hot or cold. To me there are just too many variables to get the application to be "perfect" with Collinite. My small brain refuses to think too much for that process....LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

12. Likes dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I have had a couple of products that ghost or haze after application. I no longer use them as there are many SUPERIOR waxes/sealant or hybrids out there. Collinite is a brand I no longer use. I may cause a big stink with my opinion as there is a huge fan base for the product. For me I am not one from 1st hand experience. Additionally, it can get "finicky" to remove if you apply too much on it or depending on the panel being too hot or cold. To me there are just too many variables to get the application to be "perfect" with Collinite. My small brain refuses to think too much for that process....LOL
    All products really depends on many situations environments etc.... It's always very interesting. You say that it's finicky but for me personally I've never had a single issue. Always interesting. That's why when so and so says x product is amazing or y product is terrible we can't take it as gospel because it all depends.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast