autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How much have i removed

My car is 6 months old and bought new. Before buying the car i had no idea about all this stuff i know now. Anyway, the very first time i buffed the car i used megs 6.5 yellow pad on my pc with m205 and i was a noob. I think i put too much pressure into it so it didn't really spin. More over vibrate.

Second time i used m205 on a white lc pad and that got me great results, but i was still not using grit guards at the time sadly, so they slowly came back.

Third time i used m205 on a white pad again and got the results i wanted and i was using grit guards at this time and the car is still great and the swirls are not coming back, fortunately.

I have had to do the hood and trunk lid once with m205 on an orange pad because it looked like somebody rubbed their hands all over it and grounded the dust/dirt into the clear and it looked horrible. 2 passes with m205 on orange took care of it.

I wash once a week and wax every 2 weeks-1 month and the winter is coming on so i have started using sealant every month. I do spot corrections occasionaly when i see something. Like last night i noticed a few marks on the left side of my hood that looked bad last night so i fixed using orange and m250 with 2 passes.

This just got me thinking that i am removing too much and the clear coat will fail prematurely. Now that i know what i am doing and how to take care of everything. I think i can wait much longer between corrections. The car is a black 2013 mustang. Does anyone have any insight on if ive removed a lot or not? Im taking it slow from now on and only using a very light polish like menz sf4500 on a black pad once a year. Does anybody want to put my worries to rest?

Mike Phillips

Re: How much have i removed

Quote Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post

The car is a black 2013 mustang. Does anyone have any insight on if ive removed a lot or not? Im taking it slow from now on and only using a very light polish like menz sf4500 on a black pad once a year. Does anybody want to put my worries to rest?
    If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be worried at all. M205 is a fine cut polish for cleaning us swirls and haze after M105. When used with a dual action polisher it's pretty non-evasive.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd have to do alot more than you did to cause the paint to fail prematurely IMO.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chiming in Mike! The addiction of everyone telling me how immaculate my car is is making me keep up with it more and more. This website is like crack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
    This website is like crack
    truth

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    you would be surprised how little clear you are removing. Mike has a writeup that he documented with a paint thickness gauge how much he removed for each step from wet sanding to finish. I don't remember the amount off the top of my head but I was surprised how little it was!
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    "Every expert was once a beginner"

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason i cant find that thread! I'll keep looking or if someone wants to provide a link that would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ang-twins.html

Here you go . Took me a while to find it. I was on my phone before wnd it was a pain to try and locate it but I tracked it down on the laptop. Enjoy!
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    "Every expert was once a beginner"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir! Much appreciated!