autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Overspray on car...Nanoskin Foam Pad?

I have a lot of over-spray on my car.
    I've tried clay bar. It works but it's going to take forever and require a ton of effort. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP that I've never used. Would a Nanoskin auto scrub foam pad speed up the process? If yes, should I buy fine or medium?
    If no, what would be the easiest and preferred method to get the over-spray off?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overspray on car...Nanoskin Foam Pad?

Subscribe,
    want see answers I had a lot over spray on my boat at work where I store it I didnt use my Surface prep towel because I was affraid it would get clogged with paint that would not wash out. So I worked my ass of for 5 hours with clay my hands were so sore. I think I hve some on my truck also and I know boat will get it again when we paint at the shop and I forget to cover it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's from first hand experience. I have a bit on my car too. I tried using the medium grade nanomitt but the rubber part would rub off on the paint if too much pressure is used even with tremendous amounts of shampoo and lubricant. Try a more aggressive clay if time is a constraint, it would be faster but would mar your paint. So you need to do some polishing afterwards.

The traditional clay did a better job at removing it. But to be fair, i found the mitt to be excellent at removing particles, and far easier to use than clay for general purpose paint cleaning.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Question: why won't a PC + MF pad + some aggressive polish (1200-1500 grit) take off the over-spray?

Post Thanks / Like

It depends. It were fresh then it would work. But using a huge pad on a splatter would remove too much paint if you were only trying to remove some overspray, unless of course they were everywhere and concentrated in an area where a pad would be a better choice.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Which clay bar did you use? Medium or fine?

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, Nano skin pads and the Speedy prep towel worked better than even Meg's aggressive clay. The clay alternatives are more ridged than clay, therefore should work better. As far as clogging, that will happen with trad clay as well but you can't wash/clean the over-spray out of trad clay like you can most clay alternatives. If the paint is too hot or your have/are using de-greasing soaps with the Nano skin pads/prep towel then you may get the rubber sticking to the paint. It may be annoying to see it happen, however compounding and or polishing will remove it very easily. There will be marring left from removing the over-spray so you will need to at least polish the paint anyway. So why not choose the process that removes the over-spray quickest? Also, the probably with just trying to compound the over-spray off is that sometimes that pad just skims over the bonded particles rather than removing them, and those particles can become non diminishing abrasives which usually leaves worse marring than claying or Nano Skinning will. With just compounding as well, you may remove clear coat that doesn't need to be removed just to remove over-spray. Test out the methods available and then tackle the whole project with what works best for you and your vehicles finish.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Which clay bar did you use? Medium or fine?
    I used Meguires white clay...

Thank you for all the replies.