autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

problems finishing out paint

I having a strange problem working on my 2012 black Toyota Tacoma. The paints in pretty rough shape so I am in the process of compounding and polishing the paint. Using a buff and shine green polishing pad and m205 I am getting DA haze very bad. If i switch to a LC orange light cutting pad I get a very nice finish that I am happy with. Why would a more aggressive pad produce a better finish? Even during compounding with M100 and the orange pad my finish was better than the green/m205. I also tried LC white/m205 and it was the same as BnS green.
    Dave Bulgrin's Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: problems finishing out paint

The reason this happens is because a softer pad folds over on itself, thus marring the surface on extremely soft paint systems.

Sometimes a more aggressive pad is needed for a BETTER finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've run into a few cars like this. I had recently a green Camry that turned into a mess with any soft finishing pads. Didn't matter what product, what machine speed, what hand speed, nothing. It would not finish down with anything but an orange pad @ 5-6.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I do know that the paint on the Toyota black is soft being a single stage. I have never read that a soft pad could do this. I figured the marks were do to the aggressiveness of the pads. I guess if I'm happy with the outcome the combination shouldn't matter. Does being closed cell foam vs open cell foam have any effect on this? Are there closed cell polishing/finishing pads? I'm petty sure both my white and green pads are open cell vs the orange closed cell.
    Dave Bulgrin's Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that sometimes with these soft paints that are hard to finish, I can get by using speed 6 with my PC with a finishing pad, but one wrong move or the pad stopping will make a mess in that area. I have no clue why. It seems to be a common occurrence for me with soft paint. The easier it is to correct, the more difficult I know it'll be to finish. If my finishing pad is brand new and still has some backbone, it's not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGXP View Post
    a softer pad folds over on itself,
    I've never heard of this. Can you explain what you mean in more detail please?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    I've never heard of this. Can you explain what you mean in more detail please?

Thanks.
    The softer pad can be compressed more, thus causing the foam cells to collapse on themselves causing micro-marring. Whereas, the stiffer closed cell pad cannot be compressed as easily.

Often times, a cutting pad with a water/polish mixture can be used with success on EXTREMELY soft paint systems.

It's all about RESIDUE MANAGEMENT! The paint you're removing and the spent polish has to go somewhere.

Read up on the Kevin Brown Method (KBM) if you haven't already done so. Lots of EXTREMELY USEFUL information!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, I have of heard of that before, thanks!

And yes, I'm aware of the KBM. Thanks for your PM too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I do know that the paint on the Toyota black is soft being a single stage. I have never read that a soft pad could do this. I figured the marks were do to the aggressiveness of the pads. I guess if I'm happy with the outcome the combination shouldn't matter. Does being closed cell foam vs open cell foam have any effect on this? Are there closed cell polishing/finishing pads? I'm petty sure both my white and green pads are open cell vs the orange closed cell.
    Are you sure that Toyota black is single stage? I know that Toyota's white is single stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are you sure that Toyota black is single stage? I know that Toyota's white is single stage.
    From what I have read, I believe it is. Now when polishing It doesn't seem obvious, the pad isn't covered in black paint, more like a pad that's polished off some embedded contaminates on the paint. I'm not 100% on the SS, but the paint is know to be very scratch sensitive which is the bigger issue for me.
    Dave Bulgrin's Detailing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast