autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing fine swirls from headlight lens

Hey all

I sanded and polished some hazed headlight lenses, but I can't get these fine swirls out.

My process was wet sanding with 800, 1200, then 2000 grit (in straight lines). I then used Meguiars M105 on an orange foam pad to remove the 2000 grit sanding marks - which are now all gone.

In their place are fine swirls (see image) that I'm guessing come from the M105. I've been completely unable to remove those swirls. I've tried using M205 on a white foam pad - I tried a generic pad as well as a Chemical Guys white hex pad.

I don't have a polisher, so I've been using 4" pads on a drill at between ~500 and 1500rpm (didn't seem to make a difference). Applying medium pressure to where the pad compresses a bit, and moving at around 1 inch per second. I'm not seeing any improvement after 4-5 passes, it's as if the 205 is doing nothing.

I also used M105 on a microfiber applicator by hand to strip the clear coating off the inside of the lenses too - since it was failing. I have similar swirls on the inside too.

The lens looks perfectly clear until I shine a flashlight on it, which reveals all the swirls. I'm worried that if I reassemble the headlights, I'm going to see lots of swirls in the sun or with the headlights on

Does anyone have any ideas for how to fix this or things to try? Am I right in assuming the swirls are from the M105? Why wouldn't the 205 be making any difference?

Thank you!

Here is an images of the lens under a flashlight, as well as two showing it under normal interior lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing fine swirls from headlight lens

Using a drill it is similar to using a roatory buffer. If its used incorrectly it will cause swirls. With that said I would slow it down and use a polish to remove the swirls. I have also had a lot of success using meguiars plastic polish. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought; maybe those are 205 scratches, instead of 105. Maybe try an even finer polish. If you don't have a finer polish, try cutting the 205 with water.
    Try very light pressure combined with low rpms. If your going to use pads you used 105 with, clean them thoroughly because 105 doesn't break down.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

PlastX to the rescue. Just try it by hand with a foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I (of course if you ever read any of the other threads about headlights) recommend the DP Headlight polish available here on AG
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have since tried using 205 cut with water and light pressure on a fresh white pad - no effect.

I then tried PlastX - applied with medium-light pressure by hand with a microfiber pad for about 2 minutes in a small spot. No change. I even masked off an area to be sure, and after removing the tape you couldn't tell any difference.

Lastly, I had some Mothers plastic polish (less abrasive than PlastX), so I used that on a black pad. I made about 4 slow passes, but again, no difference.

Is it likely that the headlight lens is very soft, and all these products are just introducing their own swirls?

Is it possible that I'm being too harsh a judge and have unreasonable expectations? After all, I can only see these swirls under my phone's flashlight.

This is driving me nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I (of course if you ever read any of the other threads about headlights) recommend the DP Headlight polish available here on AG
    ^^ This. Seriously. /thread
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    PlastX to the rescue. Just try it by hand with a foam pad.
    I don't find that Mequires Plastx is all that great. Had better results with other Menzerna polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have any other polishes and buying a different polish is just not that important to you, maybe you could try less 105 on a pad, or water it down some? I hate to see you try and try with no results, but I know those swirls are bugging you.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice everyone!

The DP polish looks interesting - but I want to be sure it will solve my swirl problem before ordering and waiting a week for it to arrive!

I did some more experimenting to work out where the swirls are coming from. I wet sanded with 3000 grit paper in a single direction until all the swirls were gone. I then applied m205 by hand - on a brand new microfiber applicator. That cleared the haze from the 3000 grit paper - but reintroduced the swirls.

I repeated the whole process with mothers plastic polish. Swirls again!?

I'm wondering if my lens is very very soft, and even very mild compounds/polishes are swirling it. Is that even possible? It's from an 01 Mazda Miata.

Either that or my technique is somehow causing this?

Is there a polish that has even less cut/marring than mothers plastic polish?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast