autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 Porsche Boxster

2013 Porsche Boxster ***SORRY I HAD TO SPLIT THIS POST UP. IT SEEMS LIKE AG IS HAVING ISSUES. NOT ALLOWING ME TO POST AS ONE***
    Guards Red

A previous customer contacted me about some paint correction and a coating on his Boxster. I had this vehicle in about a year ago for a correction and carnauba.

The finish was in need of correcting…very much indeed. It had some moderate to severe swirls over the majority of the paintwork. I was a little disappointed because when it left me the last time it was in such great shape!! I will be giving the owner some instructions on proper wash methods as well as to stay away from the automatic swirl-o-matics!

Wheels: washed with Adams Shampoo, numerous Daytona and misc. brushes. They were sealed with Hydro 2.

Tires: cleaned with Tuf Shine tire cleaner and the Tuf Shine brush. The dressing is Kenotech leather and vinyl conditioner. This stuff is excellent as a tire dressing! It dries ‘dry’ and looks great. Longevity is pretty darn good as well.

Body/paintwork: 2BW with SCG Pro surface prep wash and a micro-chenille mitt. It was clayed with an Optimum Opti-Eraser. Lube was Dodo Born Slippery.

Exhaust: 1Z APC. Pinnacle exhaust cleaner and brightener.

I prepped the vehicle and got this German gal ready for some surgery! Assorted brands of tape were used. Paint readings were taken and I was a little uneasy with the readings. They were averaging around 3-4 mils and I knew I was going to have to go ‘heavy duty’ on this finish.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Porsche Boxster

Test spot: This paint, this time around, was fighting me tooth and nail. It would not cooperate at all. I started out with M205 and a polishing pad. Laughed at it. I bumped my pad selection up to a cutting foam pad. Nope. OK, I broke out the M105 and a similar pad. A little better. I dug deep into my bin and pulled out a Surf-Buf pad…it was getting there but not what I was looking for. Geez!!!

The winning combo: M101 and a crimson Megs cutting disk. This was giving me the results I was looking for. Bingo. Let’s get to work!
    After the heavy duty combo of M101 and Megs cutting disk, I used a Megs yellow polishing disk and CarPro Essence to level any hazing/marring left by the tough guy combo. It also helps amp up the gloss!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

As I let the Essence ‘cure’, I dressed the tires, cleaned the glass with Adam’s Glass cleaner and cleaned up the interior.

Interior: Pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner and Pinnacle leather conditioner were used. Vacuumed by Metro.

LSP of choice was GYEON MOHS.

I hope I didn’t miss anything. If so, just ask!!!

This Guards red roadster came out well from the way it arrived. The paint is much ‘deeper’ and ‘glossy’ looking. It will also be protected for the foreseeable future!

Thanks for looking!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

missing pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Getting prepped and ready!

Defects:

Test spot:

After test spot:

Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Final shots: (this paint is hard to photograph, or it's the lack of my photography skills! It looks orange in some shots, kind of washed out. iPhone pics it looks great!)

Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    missing pictures
    Ron, I had to split this up into multiple posts. Don't know why. I keep getting an error message when I tried to post up all of my text, as well as text and a few pics. Never happened before.

Nick said they were updating some things with the server, hopefully it will get squared away!

Pics are posted amigo!

Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Could you explain a little more about the paint thickness readings you got? You said they made you a little nervous, at what point would you not feel comfortable to compound? Did you take any readings after compounding and polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' good Sizzle! You're silly with that polisher, Silly I say! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    Could you explain a little more about the paint thickness readings you got? You said they made you a little nervous, at what point would you not feel comfortable to compound? Did you take any readings after compounding and polishing?
    I was taking continual readings as I was compounding. I did take reading after. I was in the 3.0-3.2 range. That's when I was not comfortable to keep hitting it like I had been. The finish was very marred/scratched/swirled. I did't want to kill it and not wind up with 'anything' (clear) left over for future correction if needed.

Hope that makes sense. IMO, we all need our 'limit' and know when to get a bit uncomfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Lookin' good Sizzle! You're silly with that polisher, Silly I say! :-)
    I am there tough guy...I'm good with the bench work too!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast